Advertising in games, Good or BAD???

NVIDIAGAMER1

Baseband Member
Ok, i believe that Advertising should, to some extent, be in video games; so long as it means that prices would go down. I'm tired of seeing Half-Life 2's huge price tag. 55 bucks?? Joo Crazy N00bs! And what's up with Tony Hawk's Underground 2? It's initial price was 30$, but somehow it ROSE? Does this often happen? Arg!

I wouldn't mind seeing, in UT2004, seeing a Ruger or Winchester logo on one of the weapons. If this meant that it would reduce the price to 30 or 20 bucks, sign me up.

In some games, it could be TOO EASY to advertise. In the next GTA, after San Andreas, you could create a real world enviroment with beautiful enviroments, and have signposts advertising new products! Am I a genius or what? I think "What" is the answer to that question. :p

if it will bring the price down then sure as long as their not in your face ads...just little additions to the game not making it really obvious

The only thing is though that most of the games that you mentioned (especially GTA) and very violent. A lot of companies are not willing to put there logo on something that is going to get a lot of media backlash. As for the advertising, a lot of games already do this. Many sports games (most of EA games) and even Tony Hawk have little bit of advertising throughout the game. Since this is already a practice in the game I dont think it would really drive the price of games down. A lot of the reason that games stay around 50 bucks is because the amount of money they take to produce and they also know that we as gamers will pay it. I dont mind paying 50 bucks if I get a good game that will keep me happy for a while.

And besides if you play GTA most of the fun is the fake advertising. That is one of the best things about the game.

Well, with the violent games, which would you chance: Media Backlash or Superior Advertising. GTA was quite contraversial, but it was so completely popular. To the masses, I say "boo hoo" if something's violent. The real world is far more violent than a 32 hour playing spree of Unreal Tournament 2004 with InstaGib. Yep, the horrors.

Well in GTA all the fun with advertizing (esspecialy on the radio) is by using a bunch of oxymorons and ironies, and just plain stupid wordplay. That's one of the best factors of the game :)

I don't mean "Encompass a game completely in advertising like Red Bull with Chronicles of Riddick" as much as i meant "occasional advertisements are welcome. The hilarious radio on GTA III should remain the same, but maybe you could sneak in a billboard for Puma's or Converse Shoes once in a while.

Hah, well they for sure advertise Rockstar in the game ;)

For those who know vice city well, you might have seen the pool for that rich house in the middle of starfish island. The pool is in a rockstar logo shape!

In San Andreas a lot of the shirts have the Rockstar logo on them. So they continue the trend.

Also NVIDIA a lot of companies do care a whole lot about media backlash. When you talk about how popular GTA III was you are coming from a gamers standpoint. You are not coming from the religious right standpoint which is one of the groups that hevily spoke out against this game and many others. And believe me their voice is a lot louder then the hardcore gamers voice. If they speak out against something (say Puma as you used in your post) then Puma is going to have a huge fight on their hands. The payoff will not be that huge. The small amount of money they would use to advertise in a GTA game and the return they saw from it would be very small compared to all of the bad tv they received from say CNN and the Fox News channel. They would be better off just advertising in something a little less controversial like a tv ad or magazine ad.

Many games have self-advertising. Big whoop, wanna fight about it? j/k. Well, I think this thread is about done. Have fun, and remember, always #include <iostream>!!!

Back
Top Bottom