Is 8GB too much for you?

depends on your budget, i reccomended 8Gb for some1 because they were having some great Quad extremem processor and had a really big budget,

if your gonna get a Q6600 4GB will be perfect but IMO

if your gonna a Quad extreme get 8GB if youve got the budget because it wont bottlekneck at all, where as 4GB would be very slightly bottleknecking a quad extreme,

but the general Q6600 4GB is perfect
That's completely false. Assuming you're spending the same amount of money on your RAM, 4GB of say DDR2-1066 will perform better than 8GB of DDR2-800.

I would say 4GB is plenty. 8GB seems like overkill right now and it would probably be a little bit expensive.

like i said havening 8G of ram might bottle neck your system if its not being used

That's completely false. Assuming you're spending the same amount of money on your RAM, 4GB of say DDR2-1066 will perform better than 8GB of DDR2-800.

thats debatable, im not saying its not true but it would be interesting to see.

XP Pro X64 was a joke... basically a pay-for beta of Vista 64.
Vista 64 SHOULD be better but I haven't used it so I dunno. You can hardly find drivers for XP 64...

Stick with 4 max, also. I wouldn't even go that high probably.

XP64 and Vista are nowhere near related.

XP64 = Server 2003, they are the exact same kernel.

I'd go with 8GB in a new build too :)

Quote>
With SP1, Windows Vista will report the amount of system memory installed rather than report the amount of system memory available to the OS. Therefore 32-bit systems equipped with 4GB of RAM will report all 4GB in many places throughout the OS, such as the System Control Panel. However, this behavior is dependent on having a compatible BIOS, so not all users may notice this change.
End quote<

It says it will report it. It doesn't say it will support it. 32bit systems will then be able to tell you, you have 4 gigs but unless some radical changes are made to 32 bit architecture it won't use all of it. Go 64bit if you're going to go that far with your ram.

No household computer user should need any where neer 8GB RAM, even 4GB RAM shouldn't be necessitated for any programs out there. 2GB should be fine for now, granted it's rather cheap to get 4 or even 8GB nowadays with 2GB RAM going for as low as 25 dollars every now and then.

I'd go for 4 if it had to be one or the other.

all this ram talk is funny!
i cant wait till i get my 4 gigs!
and then my free vista ultimate!
i will try 64 bit and mostly use 32 bit

Back
Top Bottom