Is 8GB too much for you?

Computer Head

Fully Optimized
I am thinking about building myself a computer (finally :rolleyes:) and I am considering putting 8GB of RAM into my machine. I think it is overkill for what I do (no intensive activities, but IMO wouldn't hurt) but I feel that 8GB will give me a lot of expansion if I ever need to. Plus I plan on installing Vista on it. Whatdayall think?

EDIT: Oops, I just realized I posted this in the social lounge. I thought I was in General hardware/software. :eek: Can somebody move it? :rolleyes:

for 4g u would need a 64bit os
8g is really just over kill
even highend gaming rigs dont need more then 2-4g
in some cases having 8G of ram can actually slow your computer down
as your computer will need to search all that empty memory to find what it needs
if i was you i would just stick with 2g

The only thing I wouldn't like is using the 64bit OS. Unless Vista 64bit is better...I used XP 64bit and it was horrible. I went back to XP 32bit later and was fine. I only had 2GB of RAM, but it's all I had legal CD key wise at the time. Vista 64bit might be better, and now with the new SP1 it might be even better. I just heard stuff about 64bit Vista when it first came out that wasn't so good.

When service pack 1 for vista comes out it will recognize all 4 gigs

where is ever one hearing this from? please tell me
because a 32bit os shouldn't be able to recognize all 4g at once

i have vista 64bit and no problems
works great
32bit apps work just as they should

8gb will be a bit much for a while, but eventually it will be standard. But for now, I would stick with 4gb.

Back
Top Bottom