Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 225
Default Re: 7dead in uk after wind

rather scary wind today in Amsterdam.
had to meet a guy for work at lunchtime, i was really stupid and tried to walk as the tram line was down.got about 500m and he phoned to cancel. the wind was too much and i took shelter in a cafe for a beer and watched the tiles being blown off a chinese restaurant. people running for cover!
2hrs later i struggled home and the main street outside my flat looked like a minor warzone. trees,tiles,garbage and overhead cables all over the place.

saw portsmouth and the solent on dutch tv news tonight and it didn't look nice.
__________________

__________________
------------------------------------------------
itchy feet, when will i settle?
it's the spleeing and grammor in forums that i love
------------------------------------------------
parismouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: 7dead in uk after wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
Really big trees that were blown over, like with truncks almost a couple of feet in diameter.
They were probably weakened by previous gales, or very old ones, rotten at the base, my garage is built on to the side of my bungalow, only 4 yards from a row of very old trees, I went out after the recent gales, & was relieved to see that the roof was still intact!!

By the way, I like your new avatar, is that a more recent one of you?
__________________

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:58 AM   #13
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,006
Default Re: 7dead in uk after wind

the trouble with the trees is that they are quick growers, planted specifically to make it look like they've been there hundreds of years and to make the lanscaping around the uni look more natural...

but the soil in't all that deep before you hit the stones of the hill so the roots can't penetrate too deep...


the new avatar, that picture was taken at a party two weeks ago, so it's exactly what I look like now...
(the other one was my last holiday 7 months ago).
I thought that since I used to have the darth vader topiary thing as my avatar, and then changed to my face, it'd be nice to combine the two, (notice on the tee shirt there is this picture, (if you remember it was my avatar).
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:05 AM   #14
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: 7dead in uk after wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
the trouble with the trees is that they are quick growers, planted specifically to make it look like they've been there hundreds of years and to make the lanscaping around the uni look more natural...

but the soil in't all that deep before you hit the stones of the hill so the roots can't penetrate too deep...


the new avatar, that picture was taken at a party two weeks ago, so it's exactly what I look like now...
(the other one was my last holiday 7 months ago).
I thought that since I used to have the darth vader topiary thing as my avatar, and then changed to my face, it'd be nice to combine the two, (notice on the tee shirt there is this picture, (if you remember it was my avatar).
Yep, that avatar is good, what University are you at?, I'd like to get a Google image of it.
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:14 AM   #15
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,006
Default Re: 7dead in uk after wind

www.bath.ac.uk

that's where I work...


more specifically, the department is www.bath.ac.uk/health
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #16
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: 7dead in uk after wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
www.bath.ac.uk that's where I work...more specifically, the department is www.bath.ac.uk/health
I don't know why, but I thought you lived & worked in the Midlands, years ago, my wife & I visited Bath, a beautifuy city, that Crescent is amazing! easy to drive into, but hell to get out of, it might have changed by now, but the one-way system then led you all round the northern outskirts, & the traffic!!! horrendous, it took nearly 20 minutes to get out!, but it was well worth the visit, good, quality shops, we lunched at one of oldest restaurants, it had a Roman name, can't think of it, it must have been all of twenty years ago.
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #17
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,006
Default Re: 7dead in uk after wind

no... it's still hell to drive in...

I did used to live and work in the midlands, but that was about two years ago..
(and will hopefully be true again in about 2 months), I currently live in the St Pauls/montpelier area of Bristol.

when I lived in the midlands I came from the same town as 135791, went to the same school as him, but I was a few years above him.
(just noticed that he's not a mod anymore?)
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #18
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: 7dead in uk after wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
no... it's still hell to drive in, I did used to live and work in the midlands, but that was about two years ago, (and will hopefully be true again in about 2 months), I currently live in the St Pauls/montpelier area of Bristol,
when I lived in the midlands I came from the same town as 135791, went to the same school as him, but I was a few years above him.
(just noticed that he's not a mod anymore?)
He hasn't been a mod for a long time now, David announced it, saying sort of "ah well, he hadn't posted for a while", strange, I went to Bristol way way back to look around the Co-op butter factory, probably no longer there, two ton blocks of butter tipped out of a huge machine like a cement mixer twenty feet into a machine that cut it into half pound blocks then wrapped them, the smell of all that butter, *drool*
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #19
Fully Optimized
 
UK31337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,776
Default Re: 7dead in uk after wind

Stop moaning.

At least you're not having to live in Scotland. Full of anti-English braindeads, and the only two places worth living in (Glasgow and Edinburgh) are far far too expensive for anyone.
__________________
Master of common sense. If you don't like it, stop reading.
UK31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #20
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: 7dead in uk after wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK31337
Stop moaning, at least you're not having to live in Scotland. Full of anti-English braindeads, and the only two places worth living in (Glasgow and Edinburgh) are far far too expensive for anyone.
I suspect that this is a general comment, & not directed at me, but think on the following; root said he didn't know that 135791 wasn't a mod any more, [see that post] better keep posting, UK, or David might say the same to you, & I would miss you, [devil/holy water comes to mind] your new sig is much better, you are rude & sarcastic, now Mayor of Pyongyang is one of your better ideas, when are you flying out?
__________________

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0