5 weeks left ob or mc

the popular vote has spoken but it doesnt work that with your elections does it? it goes by what state they win, im not to sure so if someone could explain in depth a bit more...

the popular vote has spoken but it doesnt work that with your elections does it? it goes by what state they win, im not to sure so if someone could explain in depth a bit more...

Popular vote determines if a candidate wins a state or not. Every state is worth a number of points. I think it's determined by how many Senators each state has. That or the number of house representatives, either way it's one point per rep. Let's say Mikey Mouse wins Wisconsin, he would get all the points for Wisconsin. The winner of the most points wins the election. Not sure what will happen if its a tie.

The president is elected by the electoral college. The people elect the representatives in the electoral college. The electoral college does not have to vote for the candidate "elected by popular vote". If McCain wins by popular vote in Kansas, but the Obama wins the most representatives from Kansas in the electoral college, then Obama won Kansas. However, because the vote for electoral college occurs every year, most of the representatives votes will reflect the vote of the people because they want to stay in office. The number of representatives in the electoral college is directly proportional to the number of senators and representatives in the house.

So 100 members in the senate, 435 in the house = 535. However, the electoral has 538 votes, 3 come from the District of Columbia. In the case of a tie, the House of Representatives would vote for the president, where both of the presidential candidates and VP candidates would be in the contest for the ticket. It can be argued, that in the case of a tie Joe Biden has a good chance of being president, as he, supposedly, has many friends in the house.

edit: I looked up the information to double check, and it seems like rules have changed. In the case of a tie, what I previously mentioned would happen, however, 48/50 states have created a winner-takes-all rule, which states that whichever candidate takes the most votes out of any other wins all the votes from the representatives of that state in the electoral college. So the only way a tie would exist is if there is such a division of states that would create equal number of votes for both candidates, which I'm not sure is possible.

The president is elected by the electoral college. The people elect the representatives in the electoral college. The electoral college does not have to vote for the candidate "elected by popular vote". If McCain wins by popular vote in Kansas, but the Obama wins the most representatives from Kansas in the electoral college, then Obama won Kansas. However, because the vote for electoral college occurs every year, most of the representatives votes will reflect the vote of the people because they want to stay in office. The number of representatives in the electoral college is directly proportional to the number of senators and representatives in the house.

thats a little dodgy in my eyes as it takes away the power of vote from the people and puts it into a select few representatives. if those representatives had any pressure or options opened up to them on the promise that if oyu put me in power you will be better off then could they not just vote for what they want and not what the people want?

why do they have to make such a simple process overly complicated? why can you not just walk into a polling station and put your vote in. then at the end it all gets counted up and the one with the most votes wins! jobs a good un and democracy wins

thats a little dodgy in my eyes as it takes away the power of vote from the people and puts it into a select few representatives. if those representatives had any pressure or options opened up to them on the promise that if oyu put me in power you will be better off then could they not just vote for what they want and not what the people want?

why do they have to make such a simple process overly complicated? why can you not just walk into a polling station and put your vote in. then at the end it all gets counted up and the one with the most votes wins! jobs a good un and democracy wins

the reason it was established like that 200 years ago was because for the time the country was so big they didnt want one part of the country with a large population to control the election. back then that was great but 2day the country's much more united to there has been much talk of getting ride of the electoral collage. whats kinda funny is that gore had a higher over all vote then bush back in 2000

the reason it was established like that 200 years ago was because for the time the country was so big they didnt want one part of the country with a large population to control the election. back then that was great but 2day the country's much more united to there has been much talk of getting ride of the electoral collage. whats kinda funny is that gore had a higher over all vote then bush back in 2000

That is correct. The electoral college was established back in the 1780s along with the new Constitution. Today it servers no purpose other than a great way for corruption.

Back
Top Bottom