40" 1080p LCD vs 50" 720p plasma

You will pick up some HD channels from over the air, and most likely from your cable provider, even without a cable box. I do. And a tv is something he will have for quite a while, so I imagine a BD player is in the future.

At that viewing distance, definitely the 40 inch. Especially if it is a low light situation.

You had that switched around. Normally, a bright room would be detrimental to a plasma display.

You had that switched around. Normally, a bright room would be detrimental to a plasma display.

i Have found that it does nothing to our samsung plasma. LCDs are not a big deal anymore, but a lot of the older ones would glare to the point that the picture would be impossible to make out. I haven't seen it much anymore though.

Glare? Older LCD televisions had an matte display. Plasma televisions are the ones affected by bright rooms due to their glass displays.

I will go with the Sony just because its bigger. I have a 50 inch Sony 720p at my house, the picture doesn't look bad at all.

^ Well yeah. But isn't this just personal preference? Bigger TV with not so good picture can weigh in with a smaller TV with better picture.

But the picture will look even worse due to it's size and the fact that he will sit close to it. A 50 inch 720p tv should have more like a 10 ft viewing distance for it to look right.

But the picture will look even worse due to it's size and the fact that he will sit close to it. A 50 inch 720p tv should have more like a 10 ft viewing distance for it to look right.

Then sit farther away?

Back
Top Bottom