Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #111
Golden Master

Default Re: 20 killed at university [BBC news]

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys.../gunlaw_va.htm

Old 04-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #112
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to -Paul- Send a message via MSN to -Paul-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield View Post
We understand that the state of Virginia has very lax gun laws, apparently it's common practice to to buy your son a gun for his tenth birthday, & people can buy a maximum of one gun per month, are these actual facts?, the media would have us believe they are.
No sir, that is the media spin. You have to go through a lot of channels to get a gun. For instance you have to be 21. you have to have a clean record with the FBI (largest investigation agency in America), and you there is also a time period between the time when you buy the gun, and when you actually get to have it. it is like 7 days.

The waiting period is so a scenario like this doesnt happen:
I am mad at John Doe, and want to buy a gun and shoot him. I go in buy the gun drive back to his house and kill him.

The 7 day period is so you can cool down, and not act on impulse.

But in conclusion, no the gun laws are not as lax as the media makes it out to be. It may be common place to buy a gun for a kid on his 14th birthday, it is never given to the kid. You also have to have permits to have guns, so the parents will often lock up the guns. And if the parents do not lock up the guns and allow the kids to have the guns, then it is the parents fault, not the guns fault.

If you have any more questions please post them. Because I have been born and raised in this area all my life. So I know what I'm talking about compared to the genius' on the news.

^^^^ I know the above laws are true for North Carolina (practically the same state, very similar, neighboring states). I have only lived in Virginia for about 7 months now, but like I said NC and VA are very similar, kinda like living in the same place.

-Paul- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #113
Baseband Member

It has been "reported" he purchased the 9mm legally. It seems Virginia uses instant back ground check from the national data base. He took possession of the weapon without as waiting period. The information on his mental "problems" did show up in the data base. With his background he should not have been able to buy a legal weapon, therein seems to be the main problem.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #114
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Istonian Send a message via MSN to Istonian

That is what I am talking about. They need to put more stuff on the data base.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #115
Daemon Poster

whilest were speaking of guns, when im 21, im gonna buy a gun (target practise) and d whatever i have to do to get it...
Old 04-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #116
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by istonian View Post
That is what I am talking about. They need to put more stuff on the data base.
I second that, also people with mental illness or any history of violence or disturbing behavior should not be allowed any form of firearm
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #117
Daemon Poster

when they said that he had a mental illness 1 year ago, they should have sent him to a mental institution for a while to fix him up, or just keep him there...
Old 04-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #118
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lachowicz View Post
when they said that he had a mental illness 1 year ago, they should have sent him to a mental institution for a while to fix him up, or just keep him there...
absolutely right, i still don't understand why the university never kept a close physic evaluation of him regularly especially as he had been reported by a teacher several times.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #119
Daemon Poster

y not seclude him on an island with food and let him roam free (permitting the 2 km - diameter island lol
Old 04-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #120
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOwner View Post
Someone interviewed the guy that sold Chu the gun. He claimed that he was a nice, neat looking kid who didn't look like trouble. Lol, image plays out in everything and so, he sold the guns to him--so he claims. Seems so easy to purchase guns these days . But clearly, this kid is mentally disturbed according to all the video from msn.com. I watched through all of it and man, he is one depressed kid. Lots of hate and anger which eventually projected out towards VT students and professors.
according to local news, he bought the guns in Greenbay wisconsin.... kinda scary, he would have needed to come within an hour of my house to get to GB in an efficant mannor....

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote