20 killed at university [BBC news]

We understand that the state of Virginia has very lax gun laws, apparently it's common practice to to buy your son a gun for his tenth birthday, & people can buy a maximum of one gun per month, are these actual facts?, the media would have us believe they are.
No sir, that is the media spin. You have to go through a lot of channels to get a gun. For instance you have to be 21. you have to have a clean record with the FBI (largest investigation agency in America), and you there is also a time period between the time when you buy the gun, and when you actually get to have it. it is like 7 days.

The waiting period is so a scenario like this doesnt happen:
I am mad at John Doe, and want to buy a gun and shoot him. I go in buy the gun drive back to his house and kill him.

The 7 day period is so you can cool down, and not act on impulse.

But in conclusion, no the gun laws are not as lax as the media makes it out to be. It may be common place to buy a gun for a kid on his 14th birthday, it is never given to the kid. You also have to have permits to have guns, so the parents will often lock up the guns. And if the parents do not lock up the guns and allow the kids to have the guns, then it is the parents fault, not the guns fault.

If you have any more questions please post them. Because I have been born and raised in this area all my life. So I know what I'm talking about compared to the genius' on the news.

^^^^ I know the above laws are true for North Carolina (practically the same state, very similar, neighboring states). I have only lived in Virginia for about 7 months now, but like I said NC and VA are very similar, kinda like living in the same place.

It has been "reported" he purchased the 9mm legally. It seems Virginia uses instant back ground check from the national data base. He took possession of the weapon without as waiting period. The information on his mental "problems" did show up in the data base. With his background he should not have been able to buy a legal weapon, therein seems to be the main problem.

That is what I am talking about. They need to put more stuff on the data base.

I second that, also people with mental illness or any history of violence or disturbing behavior should not be allowed any form of firearm

when they said that he had a mental illness 1 year ago, they should have sent him to a mental institution for a while to fix him up, or just keep him there...

when they said that he had a mental illness 1 year ago, they should have sent him to a mental institution for a while to fix him up, or just keep him there...

absolutely right, i still don't understand why the university never kept a close physic evaluation of him regularly especially as he had been reported by a teacher several times.

Someone interviewed the guy that sold Chu the gun. He claimed that he was a nice, neat looking kid who didn't look like trouble. Lol, image plays out in everything and so, he sold the guns to him--so he claims. Seems so easy to purchase guns these days :p. But clearly, this kid is mentally disturbed according to all the video from msn.com. I watched through all of it and man, he is one depressed kid. Lots of hate and anger which eventually projected out towards VT students and professors.

according to local news, he bought the guns in Greenbay wisconsin.... kinda scary, he would have needed to come within an hour of my house to get to GB in an efficant mannor....

Back
Top Bottom