1st Job Offer Woot!

D-Lew

Fully Optimized
I'm not sure if I'm going to take it just yet, but I just got a job offer from Southern Nuclear, which is a branch of Southern Company, that provides power to the southeast. It's at Farley Nuclear Plant in Southeast Alabama and they want to pay me like $15.60/hr. I'm pretty excited. :D :D :D

If I don't get another offer in the next few days I will take it.

15.60 is good pay, but a nuclear plant? Probably a dumb question, but does it include hazard pay?

You would have to pay me treble that to work in a place like that, but good luck if you take it.

It's nuclear power, which is actually quite safe and really clean contrary to what you hear on the news and stuff. It's a lot of different jobs from paperwork and administrative stuff, to working on the plant floor and in the field, to collecting data about systems and stuff. Mechanical engineering stuff.

Just to clear it up, a nuclear power plant isn't a bomb or anything. There is a possibility of a meltdown I guess but they are usually contained in a huge concrete thing around the reactors. That stuff is monitored like crazy too, so there's a really slim chance of anything happening. The whole time I've lived in the area, I haven't heard of any accidents there.

10th grade chemistry - it's almost impossible for a nuclear plant to explode like in the movies. Of the few times it has happened, it's just because of carelessness on the worker's part.

Yeah, well. I know the risks involved with nuclear power, and yeah, they are pretty low. I head somewhere a coal power plant produces more radiation than a nuclear plant. How that works out, I have no idea, but it concerns me because I live 10 minutes from two large coal plants, one northwest and one northeast.

If you accept the job, good luck. Its a good job, and thats pretty good pay. Just be careful, there are just a few more risks involved in that field than your average job.

There is no risk whatsoever as long as everyone does their job right. Read up on how a nuclear reactor works...

I don't know if coal plants produce more radiation, I've never heard that myself. What I do know and have heard however, is that coal plants are much, much dirtier than nuclear power. Yet they are still the generation method of choice just because of red tape all over the place. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom