1989 RM125: What do you guys think?

Sinonymous

In Runtime
A few weeks ago I mentioned I bought a dirt bike off a friend for $100. This is my first bike and it doesnt run currently it needs a clutch basket and a chain in order to run. It also needs rear brakes and a carb cleaning. /What do you guys think about my buy, Good or bad?

Didn't know it was a dirtbike otherwise i'd have not opened the thread honestly. Cars or nothing for me

Try looking at online selling sites like Kijiji and see how much they'd sell these in working condition.

If they're like 600-700, then it should be okay, but make sure you can get the parts and at a fair price.

I bought it but it's taken apart in my garage right now I have no clue what condition the motor is in though. He said the motor was in good shape before the clucth broke. He even said if I couldn't fix it he would give the 100 back. He got tired of messin with it because of time and he already had an 08 and an 09 kx250. He asked me, "Why mess with something old when I have two working new bikes?".

Are you planing on rebuilding the engine?
You have to look at the bearings to get the story of an engine. Look for scoring and what not, do some reading online on how to check the bearings. It's probably worth it to hone the cylinder and get the head checked out, at least if it was for a car I would be doing that, but I don't know much about bikes.

Books are your friend though.

I love these old rm 125's.

I used to have the frame crime one that I was given. I transplanted the 4 stroke engine from and old Honda cg into it. It made a good bike to mess about in the garden with when I was younger (about 12 or 13) for 100 dollars I think it's a reasonably good buy. Assuming you can do the work in it yourself, you realise that 89 isn't old enough to be a vintage crosser and not new enough to be even nearly competitive now? So assuming that you bought the bike for fun, and not with competition in mind then you've done well.

Bloody iPhone, will edit and spell check (and get rid of the auto correct mistakes) when I'm at a real computer

Back
Top Bottom