11,00 or more dead

This has taken a turn for the worst. There are now reported that 114,000 are reported dead.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041230/ap_on_re_as/tsunami

"BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - The death toll from last weekend's earthquake-tsunami catastrophe rose to more than 114,000 on Thursday as Indonesia uncovered more and more dead from ravaged Sumatra island, where pilots dropped food to remote villages still unreached by rescue workers. A false alarm that new killer waves were about to hit sparked panic in India, Sri Lanka and Thailand."

When I was on the way to the airport this morning (for the first time ... long story) We were listening to... NPR I think it was, and they said that the official was 87,000.

As of right then, at about 5 AM eastern time.

That's just crazy!!!

Giancarlo said:
Actually all of what I said is true. There was no reason for them to invest in a system. The political will was not there, and the reasons were not there. You are the one who is speaking fallacies. Furthermore, tsunamis are incredibly, extremely rare in this part of the world. You should just let the facts master, me, speak... as you don't know anything in this regard. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW THE FACTS, MATT! :rolleyes: But they do occur.. nice response. That still isn't a reason to invest in a system for an area where they occur on less then a 1% chance, especially when this system may be incredibly costly, and where local governments are broke. Sri Lanka for example spent $400-$500 million on a civil war. You need to brighten up. Finally, I know the earthquake was at 9 on the scale. And additionally, technology exists to detect earthquakes on land. But this one occurred 90 km out to sea... seems like somebody doesn't have it down right. And it is certainly not me. Nice try really.

The fact master! wtf! Ok this is a fact that you can add to ur 'fact bank!' you do not have an early warning system for tsunamis!, you have an early warning system for earthquakes, seismometer, which measures sismic waves! the tsunami which occured in thailand and which occurs everywhere, if there is one, is always triggered by an earthquake, if the epicentre is in the sea of close the coast. The epicentre is where the main force of the earthquake comes from, and is where the 2/3 plates move/converge/diverge into/away from one another to cause friction. this creating a jolt, its simple plate tectonics, its not hard, there the facts, and its possible to argue with facts.period.

its, 117,00, it rocketed! its very sadening! and there are alot of people who who are going to have to cope with terrible sadness from loss! its so terrible, my heart goes out to everyone!

matt_999 said:
The fact master! wtf! Ok this is a fact that you can add to ur 'fact bank!' you do not have an early warning system for tsunamis!, you have an early warning system for earthquakes, seismometer, which measures sismic waves! the tsunami which occured in thailand and which occurs everywhere, if there is one, is always triggered by an earthquake, if the epicentre is in the sea of close the coast. The epicentre is where the main force of the earthquake comes from, and is where the 2/3 plates move/converge/diverge into/away from one another to cause friction. this creating a jolt, its simple plate tectonics, its not hard, there the facts, and its possible to argue with facts.period.

What a douchebag... only Japan has an early warning system. And even if there were a tidal wave approaching the west coast, there would be a twelve hour wait. The early warning system are often ships that pick up on energy throughout the water. You again aren't refuting what I said. Tsunamis only occur if earthquakes happen over water, not on land. And a seismometer is not an early warning system. It measures the earthquake as it happens. It doesn't predict one. Again wrong there. You have too many errors in your statements and you don't know anything about this topic. I'm telling you.. go argue with another idiot, not with one who has a strong grasp of the issues. And by the way, you want to know something that is very interesting you forgot to say? This earthquake was caused by two plates running into each other, not converging or diverging. One plate's mass goes under the other, and this often causes volcanos. I'm guessing you didn't know that did you? Additionally, this earthquake caused the entire island of Sumatra to move 98 feet. I know a lot more then you in this topic and that is clearly demonstrated by this post.

Well really, there are three ways of a tsunami starting:

1: An underwater earthquake
2: A landslide that ends up in the water. A large mass of something hitting the water from land will cause a massive wave.
3: A meteor or something of the alike striking the ocean.

rakedog said:
Well really, there are three ways of a tsunami starting:

1: An underwater earthquake
2: A landslide that ends up in the water. A large mass of something hitting the water from land will cause a massive wave.
3: A meteor or something of the alike striking the ocean.

I know that. But that third one is a bit unlikely.. but possible.

Back
Top Bottom