1 = 2

Wha? What the? Haha...I'm sorry, but Geometry is where my math goes up to. Eww...math...

Dested said:
A² = AB
A² - B² = AB - B²
(A + B)(A - B) = B(A - B)
A + B = B
B + B = B
2B = B
2 = 1

The fun part comes in at step 2, when you set the entire equation to 0. Game over after it equals zero. =)

A² - B² = AB - B²
It becoming 0 = 0 only proves that the equation is correct.

mammikoura said:
A² - B² = AB - B²
It becoming 0 = 0 only proves that the equation is correct.

no the equation cancles, Its not factorable. Game over. Algebricly it IS factorable, but your factoring zero and trying to get not zero. Algebricly its sound, but any good compiler will through a logic error =P

root said:
didn't I already post an anwer to this sometime yesterday?

http://www.computerforums.org/showpost.php?p=268623&postcount=26

A² - B² = AB - B² = 0 therefore not only does 2b = b but so does 3, 4, 5 and 6b = b since both A and B = 0
This is true, but that doesn't disprove it! It's still true, just as you said! You guys are all missing the fundamental problem here. I'll give everyone another day. After that, I'll let the cat out of the bag. :p

Dested said:
no the equation cancles, Its not factorable. Game over. Algebricly it IS factorable, but your factoring zero and trying to get not zero. Algebricly its sound, but any good compiler will through a logic error =P
And that's exactly what I'm talking about here. :D
It still works, even when zero!

Okay, most of you guys are touching on the problem, but you're not quite there. Here's a hint: try doing the math with actual numbers. That should give it away.

Back
Top Bottom