1 = 2

I dunno...Yeah, i did domething wrong... how could B/2= 1? b/2 = 0.5B OR 1/2B

draconum said:
Plus I dought A^2 = AB is hardly proven.

Chris

A^2 is AxA

If B=A then,

A^2=AB, since B=A and A^2 is AxA

spank_fusion said:
(A + B)(A - B) = B(A - B)
A + B = B
B + B = B
2B = B
2 = 1

And there you have it! One is equal to two.

Your goal? Find the error in the proof. First to find it gets a big bear hug from a mushroom.

Ok, you can't divide both sides by (A-B) because you have to multiply out the brackets first. Didn't I already say this?

Yes, as in real-life, rules need to be followed in maths. Which makes me wonder whether there is any validity to it at all. Why can't it all just fall into place instead of someone having to make up "rules"? Seems strange that you have to follow things in a certain order, decided by some person (or group), to come to the universally agreed solution, doesn't it?

Weird :confused: I think you better put us out of our misery... please. My head hurts.

CJ said:
Ok, you can't divide both sides by (A-B) because you have to multiply out the brackets first. Didn't I already say this?

Yes, as in real-life, rules need to be followed in maths. Which makes me wonder whether there is any validity to it at all. Why can't it all just fall into place instead of someone having to make up "rules"? Seems strange that you have to follow things in a certain order, decided by some person (or group), to come to the universally agreed solution, doesn't it?

Weird :confused: I think you better put us out of our misery... please. My head hurts.
Haha, I'm not making up any rules! It's a simple algebraic proof. All the steps are valid. And I'll tell you all the problem soon enough, but it's only been a day! Come on guys - THINK!

I was meaning algebra (and maths) in general, not you matey.

A + B = B

This part doesn't make sense because you either can't divide both sides by (A-B) or you have opened up the brackets on the left.

It should be:

0 = B(A-B)
0 = BA - B^2
BA = B^2
A = B

lol, we're all math heads here :p Yeah it's a pretty simple quesiton I was just getting ahead of myself for a second. But I love math anyways so I don't care.

Chris

CJ said:
I was meaning algebra (and maths) in general, not you matey.

A + B = B

This part doesn't make sense because you either can't divide both sides by (A-B) or you have opened up the brackets on the left.

It should be:

0 = B(A-B)
0 = BA - B^2
BA = B^2
A = B
Oh, sorry about that.

But yeah, it's legal to divide out the (A - B) since it's a whole term.

A² = AB
A² - B² = AB - B²
A + B = B
B + B = B
2B = B
2 = 1

The fun part comes in at step 2, when you set the entire equation to 0. Game over after it equals zero. =)

Back
Top Bottom