Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #31
Fully Optimized
 
tom-knox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,451
Send a message via MSN to tom-knox
Default Re: The 00s come to an end

Can't really predict the move in technology, no one saw any of what happened this year coming really. Speed of computers, multi function phones, accessibility to the internet, portability of performance, internet speeds, flat screen tellies, digital photography, it amazes me when i think about the phone i had back in the early noughties compared to the power of phones now, and the speed of my 2000 pc compared to the immensely more powerful rig that i have now, that is an all in one PC (laptop) that i can take anywhere and is still hundreds of times more powerful than the pentium PCs i used to have, that had 800*600 resolutions and a PAYG dial up connection that gave you access to an internet where pictures were scarce, google was little, music was polyphonic and videos never happened.
__________________

__________________
New laptop:
2.1 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor :: nVidia GT150m :: 15.6" HD LCD :: 4gb RAM :: 320gb HDD

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #32
Fully Optimized
 
63083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,129
Default Re: The 00s come to an end

In ten years. The end of the next decade. I think we will have spaceships that people can be on.
__________________

__________________
XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #33
Golden Master
 
Rubber314Chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,574
Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default Re: The 00s come to an end

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63083 View Post
In ten years. The end of the next decade. I think we will have spaceships that people can be on.
We've had those since the 50's...
__________________
AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, Ubuntu+SAMBA ♫ Lenovo T410, i5@ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB ram, 7
Rubber314Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #34
Fully Optimized
 
63083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,129
Default Re: The 00s come to an end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
We've had those since the 50's...
My bad, I mean like ones that civilians can own and operate. And that don't blow-up on re-entry.
__________________
XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #35
Fully Optimized
 
Grantofhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Re: The 00s come to an end

We're almost already there. You just have to own the lifter plane, the pilot, and the space craft.
__________________
RD-PC -//- i7 950 // Evga x58 SLI // 3x2 OCZ PC3-12800 // 2x Evga GTX470 // Corsair HX850 // SilverStone TJ07
Grantofhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #36
Fully Optimized
 
63083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,129
Default Re: The 00s come to an end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
We're almost already there. You just have to own the lifter plane, the pilot, and the space craft.
Just ten more years and I'm pretty sure personal spacecraft will be entirely possible. Fusion powered, ion thrusters, maybe some small shields for a lot of money.
__________________
XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:51 AM   #37
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,006
Default Re: The 00s come to an end

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-knox View Post
Can't really predict the move in technology, no one saw any of what happened this year coming really. Speed of computers, multi function phones, accessibility to the internet, portability of performance, internet speeds, flat screen tellies, digital photography, it amazes me when i think about the phone i had back in the early noughties compared to the power of phones now, and the speed of my 2000 pc compared to the immensely more powerful rig that i have now, that is an all in one PC (laptop) that i can take anywhere and is still hundreds of times more powerful than the pentium PCs i used to have, that had 800*600 resolutions and a PAYG dial up connection that gave you access to an internet where pictures were scarce, google was little, music was polyphonic and videos never happened.
I think that all the stuff that you just said pretty much was available or was reasonably obviously coming up at the start of the last decade.

certainly in 2001 I had broadband whilst I was at uni, flat screen tv's we're still a little way off, but LCD monitors were about, so it was only a matter of time till we'd get flat screen TVs.
we had digital cameras in the 90's

as for phones, fair enough perhaps not in the last decade, but I've had a phone, (same phone for the past three years). that can run multiple operation, that can run GPS/navigation software, that I can download applications to to increase functionality, run multiple apps at the same time. and the phone was reasonably old when I got it, (which is why it didn't cost much). there were smart phones before that too,

before the phone I've got now I had a nokia Ngage, I had GPS navigation on that too (using a bluetooth GPS reciever)...
__________________

__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0