The 00s come to an end

I don't get the point of wireless power. You are still within the constraints of a wall-jack adapter, so why not use a battery? The power has to be transmitted from somewhere...

I don't get the point of wireless power. You are still within the constraints of a wall-jack adapter, so why not use a battery? The power has to be transmitted from somewhere...

Well in same cases yes it would be useless. (to an extent)

But a battery operated plasma tv? Ahh.... You kiddin?

I see your point there, but how often do you move your Plasma tele? It's not a useless technology, just not a practical one (if it ever becomes a reality).

I see your point there, but how often do you move your Plasma tele? It's not a useless technology, just not a practical one (if it ever becomes a reality).

Well if you live in say an apartment where you can't tar into the wall to run a wall outlet up to the back of the tv.

and you also want to wall mount your tv.
Then having the wireless unit plugged into the wall a crossed the room would be very handy.

EDIT: It's not much in the means of it being move-able and free of cords. As much as it's the fact that there is no cords.

Well if you live in say an apartment where you can't tar into the wall to run a wall outlet up to the back of the tv.

and you also want to wall mount your tv.
Then having the wireless unit plugged into the wall a crossed the room would be very handy.

EDIT: It's not much in the means of it being move-able and free of cords. As much as it's the fact that there is no cords.

Umm.. if you can't run a wall outlet up to the back of the TV, and its wall mounted, how about those big holes from those lag bolts going into the wall?

And there's a lot of wasted energy from wireless electricity.

I don't believe in the world ending in 2012 theory, either,

for this coming decade, i am going to be jammin on my Carrier, trying to get it going and going well for me. Make a place for myself in the world. Try to improve on ideas. Invent new ones.

10 years from now i request the ability to bring up this dead post ;) and will see what has happend lol.

That is a completely stupid myth. (Yes I know you are all making fun of it, but I'd like to make a point) Year 0 marks the birth of Christ and we have moved from there. The Mayan calendar ends in 2012 but Who's system is that 2012 based in?

kind of a good question, indeed, most religions have their own calendar:
today (23rd december 2009) is
jewish year: 5770
isliamic year: 1431 AH -though it's not as simple as just adding a year by this time next year as the Islamic calendar is based on lunar cycles to make months, (of which there are 12 in the year).

Islam was founded in what we consider as 631 or 632AD (right?) and is known as year 0 to them. So it's year 2640 or 2641for them?
you added when you should have subtracted, because it was in times of AD on BC when the islamic calendar started.
but would have still been wrong for the reasons above regarding lunar cycles and years.
the Islamic calendar was also started In 638 (the year 17 AH), (e.g Mohammed came to Mecca in 621AD).
if you do the sums 2009 - 621 you still get 1388, and the year is actually 1431 on that calendar. the small differences with have a 12 lunar month calendar, compared to the 28/29/30/31 day Gregorian calendar add up over time, this is also why Islamic religious festivals start at different times of year each year, (e.g the month of Ramadan moves slightly closer to the summer each year).

That would mean the end of the world happened quite a long time ago since we don't really know what year system the Mayan calendar follows. I sincerely doubt it was the Christian year system since they couldn't have known about Christians let alone what year it was for them. Hell, "2012" for the Mayans could have happened a LONG time ago.
the mayans didn't even call it 2012, they didn't have a time for 2012. you've fundamentally missed the point of how different calendaring systems work.

the Mayan calendar was worked out by Mayan astronomers, and key events co-inside with celestial events.
the astronomers had a rather good accuracy and understanding of the science of astronomy and the physics, orbits etc. and they "predicted" all the major celestial events, based on their observations for a long time.

the reason that people *say* that the world will end in 2012 is that it is when the Mayan calendar stops.

and why does the calendar stop?
in 2012 there will be a major celestial event, and this will be in the form of plants aligning. this may or may not have an effect on the earth, but I doubt it'll mean the end of civilisation.
HOWEVER, the Mayans MAY HAVE believed that it would be the end of the third creation of the world. -but it's unlikely.

There is no evidence of that. in fact it may have just been a time that the planets were aligning and time for a big party!

indeed there are apparently Mayan dates written for a period in the future AFTER this date, which kinda rubbishes the idea that the world will end then...

why is it 2012? that's just the translation of the date, scientists have looked at the mayan calendar and observed the predictions that they made, as they predicted something on a certain date, and that thing happened on a certain date we can say with some assurance that that particular day in the Gregorian calendar that we use IS a date in the Mayan calendar, (whatever name of day/week/month/lunar cycle/celestial body movement/year/period/season etc) that they used.

the same as we (based on simple counting we can say that it's the year and day Tevet 6, 5770* in the Jewish calendar.

and tomorrow it'll be tevet 7, 5770.

tevet 6 5770 = December 23rd 2009
tevet 7 5770 = December 24th 2009

the date in the Mayan calendar that (they believed that the world would end) is either 31st or 23rd december 2012 (in the Gregorian calendar).

this is 13.0.0.0.0 in the mayan calendar.

the day before is 12.19.19.17.19.

also the Mayans didn't just start their calendar at the arbitrary date of when they thought that a religious leader that may have existed might have been born. like we did with the Gregorian calendar. they back dated their calendar to when they thought the start of creation was.

for more reading on the Mayan calendar visit:

http://www.webexhibits.org/calendars/calendar-mayan.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/humanorigins/calendarsystem.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_Long_Count_calendar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon

Back
Top Bottom