Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2015, 04:06 AM   #71
Fully Optimized
 
joedaman633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: Why is the minimum character limit there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
That's actually a huge problem with younger generations. The ability to communicate in a ubiquitously understood manner is a fading skill.
I see it as the newest generation growing up in a land of technology where information is expected through the internet almost instantaneously, quickly, and efficiently.

For example, at work, if somebody had a problem they needed sorting quickly, then they don't want a long winded answer, they want it straight to the point...

You call it fading communication skills, I'd call it generational differences.
__________________

__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline  
Old 04-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #72
In Runtime
 
NikonGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Probably the USA?
Posts: 440
Default Re: Why is the minimum character limit there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
I see it as the newest generation growing up in a land of technology where information is expected through the internet almost instantaneously, quickly, and efficiently.

For example, at work, if somebody had a problem they needed sorting quickly, then they don't want a long winded answer, they want it straight to the point...

You call it fading communication skills, I'd call it generational differences.
True. And it is one thing to talk on a forum and actually have a conversation with someone.
__________________

__________________
Asus USB 3.0 Mobo - 16Gb DDr3 1866mhz Ram - AMD FX 6300 Hexa core 4.0Ghx OC - Corsair CX600M PSU - Corsair H80i Cooler - Gigabyte Gefore GT 730 2Gb GDDr5 - WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm - WD 360gb 5200rpm Backup drive.
NikonGuy is offline  
Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #73
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Why is the minimum character limit there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
I see it as the newest generation growing up in a land of technology where information is expected through the internet almost instantaneously, quickly, and efficiently.

For example, at work, if somebody had a problem they needed sorting quickly, then they don't want a long winded answer, they want it straight to the point...

You call it fading communication skills, I'd call it generational differences.

Being part of the younger generation I'd tell you that the fast, instant and short answers get you no where very very quickly. I started raising through the ranks faster when my emails became more detailed beyond a simple yes or no (when those were appropriate) because my answers showed I knew what it was I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonGuy View Post
True. And it is one thing to talk on a forum and actually have a conversation with someone.
Is it? I type here the way I talk. The only real difference is when communicated vocally it's easier to tell tone. But you are still ignoring the fact that a simple "yes" or "no" virtually never provides the full answer. If someone asks if something is compatible and you only say yes they'll have to come back because they didn't really learn anything. If you say yes and why then they've learned something and will hopefully say "these guys taught me something, I should stick around and see what else I can learn".
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline  
Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #74
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Why is the minimum character limit there?

Oh come on guys. How long are you going to continue to beat this horse?
setishock is offline  
Old 04-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #75
In Runtime
 
NikonGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Probably the USA?
Posts: 440
Default Re: Why is the minimum character limit there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Being part of the younger generation I'd tell you that the fast, instant and short answers get you no where very very quickly. I started raising through the ranks faster when my emails became more detailed beyond a simple yes or no (when those were appropriate) because my answers showed I knew what it was I was talking about.



Is it? I type here the way I talk. The only real difference is when communicated vocally it's easier to tell tone. But you are still ignoring the fact that a simple "yes" or "no" virtually never provides the full answer. If someone asks if something is compatible and you only say yes they'll have to come back because they didn't really learn anything. If you say yes and why then they've learned something and will hopefully say "these guys taught me something, I should stick around and see what else I can learn".
" Nice GPU, did you get that off of newegg? " Yes ".
I know what you mean, and saying " Yes I did " is also easy, but sometimes like I end up doing often, is I'm on the forum just until I leave off for work, and a quick " yes " really can make a difference. I know what you mean about speech etc etc, but the only point I want to make is that there is no harm done with the occasional " lol " or something of that nature. Being formal all the time even in a "Lol" thread becomes annoying. We don't want to speak like a business pro to every single person we ever meet. It's the social lounge, we are here to relax and just chill. We are a semi small group of people, there is no need for consistently having all these formalities. I actually don't even care if the limit is changed. I noticed the thread and I simply can agree with draygoes, it does get annoying here and there, but it is no big deal, and I don't think it really makes any difference to anyone here. This is all just my opinion and why I agree with draygoes, wether something is changed or not really doesn't bother me...
__________________
Asus USB 3.0 Mobo - 16Gb DDr3 1866mhz Ram - AMD FX 6300 Hexa core 4.0Ghx OC - Corsair CX600M PSU - Corsair H80i Cooler - Gigabyte Gefore GT 730 2Gb GDDr5 - WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm - WD 360gb 5200rpm Backup drive.
NikonGuy is offline  
Old 04-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #76
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Why is the minimum character limit there?

I's go along with shutting it off in the social lounge but unfortunately vBulletin doesn't work that way. It's what's called a Global setting. You enable it, set the minimum amount of characters, and it goes for the entire forum. So to shut it off for the social lounge means it's shut off for the entire forum.

As for the did you get that off blah blah? yes
Yes I did. Here's the link to the page. This is what I like about it. Here's what I don't. I'd recommend getting one. I'd not recommend getting one.

You can be brief or long winded, it's up to you. But an more informative reply is not only beneficial to the person who's thread you're responding to but to lurkers and sandbaggers as well. They might even like what they see and sign up.
setishock is offline  
Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #77
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,999
Default Re: Why is the minimum character limit there?

no.
this setting will not be changed.

the mods (actually past mods and present mods) have made it clear why, - because it stops inane replies and helps prevent spam.

people who are mods on other forums have said why - it's a tactic most forums use to promote useful discussion and helps to prevent spam.

the administrators have said that they will not remove this limit. (and lets face it, they are the ones that own the domain, they pay to keep the lights on. it's their place where we are all guests.)

the size of the forum, or amount of active members is meaningless (though the setting was activated in busier times.)


Whether you think that "people don't talk like that outside of business" is inconsequential, - we've all evolved past communicating in grunts.
and last time I heard, the forum owners wanted this to be a place with at least some veneer of professionalism. what is actually surprising and counter intuitive is that the more like a clubhouse a forum becomes, the less members it attracts. this is because new people are outside the clique, and hence what seems like a really friendly place to people inside it, actually is not. This forum is not anybodies private fiefdom, (well except Andy, (the admin) and Janet (the other admin) because as explained earlier they pay for the servers to stay on!) and consistently arguing that the rules and software settings should be changed to suit the way that you wish things were run, well, it's really not on!

There was no harm in asking the question. why is the limit there?
There no harm in asking for a setting to be changed (once)
there is no harm in attempting to justify why you want something changed, but we're 8 pages into this now!

That two people want to use a forum as if it were a chat room, does not mean it's going to happen.


or to put things into a reply of less than ten characters:

no.


For those that are a fan of more than ten characters:
Thread closed.
__________________

__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0