Why is the minimum character limit there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree w/Seti , going through every yes & no review would just be a pain in the arse. Like the mods said, it was put into place to keep the spam bots out.

Is that not their job anyway?

Oh god no. it's not possible for us to look at every single post and every single thread. That's why the "report" button exists. Besides, if we didn't trust you guys enough to the point where we had to read every single thread that members posted, would this really be a fun forum?

Oh god no. it's not possible for us to look at every single post and every single thread. That's why the "report" button exists. Besides, if we didn't trust you guys enough to the point where we had to read every single thread that members posted, would this really be a fun forum?
Fair enough. :)

Is that not their job anyway?

Do you expect a Mod to examine every single post made to determine whether its useless or not? Mods have better things to do than examine every post to determine its usefulness. I am Moderator on another forum and have Moderated this one previously and there is better things to than examine every post made..

Which is needed how often?

I'd be willing to wager money that you can't find 15 legitimate threads where that is the case, without an exuberant amount of searching.

Maybe this is a generational gap kind of thing. What's the value add of a comment "lol"? The person who made the joke posted it because it was a joke, assuming they're going to get some lols. But, if every single person that laughed at it posted "lol", how full of shit posts would this forum become? We're well on our way already with "LOL (tencharacters)" posts. Really? You had to post lol? Is this facebook? No, we're not trying to discourage social interaction, but at the same time posts like that tend to drive traffic away. If you're okay with that, then I'm not okay with you. Go ahead and test me on this too.

Yea that's right.
Yes, you are correct
@NikonGuy; Yes!

There is more than one way to skin a cat if absolutely necessary (which I believe was covered in depth before)

it's not a rule

If there was a rule about character count, that would be unenforceable. I'm sure as hell not going around counting.

it's an anti-spam measure

It's a simple block to prevent a very specific kind of spam, that's it. We're not saying you can't open your mouth if you don't have much to say (although I've been lobbying for it), we're just trying to keep the bots out.

Now,
Given the above round and round, I still find it curious that this continues to be an issue. The last time this thread was hot, it ended with "Oh, I can say lol and just hide the ten characters... I'm okay with that because of how rare we do this."
Now we bring it back up a month or two later because it's Soooooo inconvenient? Again, there are few times when "Yes", and "Lol" are the answer anyone was looking for. At this point, I'm with Seti in raising it, and maybe even just having every post shorter than ten characters go into review. That way we can just delete the shit ones and keep the ever so common legitimate "Yes"'s

Fair dos
(tencharacterlimit)

Re: Why is the minium charector limit even there?

I was joking about that. Sorry if it didnt come through that way. I kindof figured you guys would know that I am not nearly that daft. ;)
To be fair, I have my pain meds to thank for my sense of humor being a bit wonky. I wont be on them for much longer though, just taking them while waiting for the antibiotics to kick in.

Be careful, T-Man is a serious person. I was scolded by him once :whistling:

Fair dos
(tencharacterlimit)

Ein horn mein leben!

" Yes that is correct " is rather nonsense. Come on guys stay realistic. It's a forum, who the heck talks like that outside of a business meeting? This forum is small, the mods are 50% of the posters! You won't have a problem with an overload of " Lol" or "Yes". If this was a big busy forum then I get your point. But you are treating this as a big forum, which it simple is not. There would not be ANY issue if you lowered the letter count, the ONLY thing lowering the letter count would do is make a few members happier. You make a big deal out of it likes its some big thing, I make a big deal out of it because you guys treat it like its something horrible which it is not. For gods sakes you people are actually acting as if lowering the letter count would mean that the mods have to look at every post suddenly. COME ON PLEASE STAY ON EARTH. How many members are actualy remotely active here? There have been DAYS without a post here.

Last edited:
Nikon, be realistic here, how often is a simple "yes" ever really helpful to a poster?

" Yes that is correct " is rather nonsense. Come on guys stay realistic.

So then too understand my position of "Yes" is a rather nonsense post. Were you able to get that list of threads where a simple yes was the complete and whole answer to the posters question?

It's a forum, who the heck talks like that outside of a business meeting?

That's actually a huge problem with younger generations. The ability to communicate in a ubiquitously understood manner is a fading skill.

And I talk like that, every day, even to my kids. Prevents those "Was that a yea or na?" type of responses. Communication is key.

This forum is small, the mods are 50% of the posters!

Then that also gives us 50% of the member base vote, right? :cool:

You won't have a problem with an overload of " Lol" or "Yes".

We already do... instead it just looks like this:
RandomUser said:
That face lol...
RandomUser said:
LOL! That's too funny
RandomUser said:
lol nice! :)

If this was a big busy forum then I get your point. But you are treating this as a big forum, which it simple is not. There would not be ANY issue if you lowered the letter count, the ONLY thing lowering the letter count would do is make a few members happier. You make a big deal out of it likes its some big thing, I make a big deal out of it because you guys treat it like its something horrible which it is not. For gods sakes you people are actually acting as if lowering the letter count would mean that the mods have to look at every post suddenly. COME ON PLEASE STAY ON EARTH. How many members are actualy remotely active here? There have been DAYS without a post here.

Big forum? Nope. Still our forum nonetheless.
Big Issue lowering? Nope. Nothing legitimate is prevented by it's presence either.
Something Terrible? Well kinda. As seen above, there's already an issue with contentless replies.
Have to look at every post? Perhaps you should start. If you would've read anything other than what you wanted to see, you would have seen that the comment was actually made by your buddy, not us. In fact, I literally posted that I would not do such a thing even if it was required. Come on, stay informed with the topic before posting word vomit.

In closing; just because you and a few friends are the only ones who can sit here all day every day and post lols to each other, that doesn't mean that we now play by your rules, nor does the rest of the community who still exists and just doesn't visit as frequently.

So, here's my "compensation" offer.

1. This thread dies now and nothing changes.
OR
2. We'll remove the post count requirement completely and update the rules to reflect a balanced criteria of what constitutes value in a post, with accompanying corrective actions for violations.

What say ye?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom