Why is the minimum character limit there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why is the minium charector limit even there?

Not going to lie, that's just rude to use 2 characters in a post that you're defending and saying we should keep the 10-Character limit. :/

Don't jump the gun. Not everything is always as it seems hmmm

The mods are all saying the same basic thing. That it makes their lives more simple. Remember why you became a mod. You didnt do it for status, at least I hope not. You did it for the love of the community. That means work.
you're right, I didn't do it for the status, but because I cared about the forum and making sure people who knew less than me got the help they needed and deserved. And it is a lot of work so when a tool can keep one of my duties to a minimum I love that tool.

But, to backtrack, the limit does get in the way of those of us who actually want to post a basic responce over trying to figure a way around the limit.

Honestly, what basic, but still helpful, response is less than ten characters? The only one I can think of is "thank you" which is only 9 but adding punctuation to the end fixes that up.

I was a moderator for the Knight47 forum, and we got a lot of that. There is no easy solution, but is there ever? You can ban across IP's, but the final solution is to keep up. I love and understand the work that you do. There is a "But" here at that. Did you not join because of the love for the forum?
I don't think that you do understand it.

firstly, no, I didn't join this forum because I love it. (nobody could have done that)
I joined it because it was there, after a while I grew to love this place, and a lot of the people here.

The mods are all saying the same basic thing. That it makes their lives more simple. Remember why you became a mod. You didnt do it for status, at least I hope not. You did it for the love of the community. That means work. When I was a mod on the K47 forum, that is why I did it.
No, nobody here becomes a mod for status.
Yes, all the mods really care about the community.
The mods and site team are perfectly prepared to do a reasonable amount of work.
however, what you're asking is for mods to respond to posts, check out possible days or weeks of posting history to decide if the member is worthy. that's not just a 'bit' of extra work, that's a 'lot' of extra work.

Can you provide a link to the K47 forums? I've googled and can't find anything, no forum, no links, basically it's as if the place never existed.

Long story short, I just don't think that any kind of quality information can be conveyed in less than ten chars.

you're right, I didn't do it for the status, but because I cared about the forum and making sure people who knew less than me got the help they needed and deserved. And it is a lot of work so when a tool can keep one of my duties to a minimum I love that tool.

Honestly, what basic, but still helpful, response is less than ten characters? The only one I can think of is "thank you" which is only 9 but adding punctuation to the end fixes that up.
"Agreed" can be helpful on its own to show that you backup another user statement, which during a repair can reassure the person asking for help.

And I do agree with your point. I wrote a script for autobanning once, that only required the username and amount of days. It made the job a lot more simple when it was needed, which we found to be more often than not at first. The K47 forum was my friends first forum, and the first one I ever joined. I have joined quite a few sence then, but usually its to ask one or two questions, not to be a major member. The only forums that I have fallen in with where that one, one that I do not wish to mention, and this one.

That tells you a lot about why I am so passionate about the most simple things though. Anything that would help, should be up for grabs. This discussion alone proves it. I go with my gut on some things, but I also prefer to go with logic, and logic tells me that this place does pretty well as set up (Yes I know that I am counter acting my own post with that sentance.) The point is, the major decisions can prove to come out of smaller ones.

I guess that I will end with that. You guys have agreed to talk about it between yourselfs, and come up with a decision. I just figured that this would give the other users a chance to weigh in as well.

Some might see this as making a big deal over nothing, and while that may sort of be true, this has provoked far more interesting discussions then I thought that it would, and I believe that is a good thing.

I am not even going to bother to answer on my "Solved" button question, because that was just a shot in the dark that is far less needed and will probably provoke similar talks.

Where I work, when we were a smaller company, you could book time off with a few days notice.
Now we're a company operating in 6 different countries across two continents, with clients quite literally all over the world, the game changed, stuff that worked in a smaller company don't work in a bigger company. now we need weeks, sometimes months notice, leave for next Christmas is already booked, and if you haven't asked for it, and had that request granted in January you will be working over Christmas...
We have a person who's only just it is to manage the time of consultants, do they have enough days to work on a given project in that month, in order to meet a customers deadlines, or does someone else have to do it? 5 years ago nobody in the company would have understood how we could have a person not actually managing people but just checking whether they have time to take on more work, as a full time job for a person!

Do you see how what worked on your friend small forum may not work on a much larger forum. (even if this forum is shrinking anyway).

on a small forum it's easy to see that one new guy that arrives in the month and watch him or her, when that minimum post rule was introduced, sign ups were 4 - 5 per day. it's not so easy, or maybe not even possible to watch every members every post.

"Agreed" can be helpful on its own to show that you backup another user statement, which during a repair can reassure the person asking for help.

Ok, I can give you that one, but let me stretch that a bit. In that case wouldn't it also help to add why you agree? It can help build the OP's confidence that what you're agreeing to is the best thing for them to do/try/buy.

Ok, I can give you that one, but let me stretch that a bit. In that case wouldn't it also help to add why you agree? It can help build the OP's confidence that what you're agreeing to is the best thing for them to do/try/buy.
In that case, you would always want to include why you agree.
But as you even said, that is a stretch. Why would anyone post to a hardware question with that alone? In fact, even if a software question is posted it can give the user confidence that more than one person agrees with what was said.

Did anyone else notice Janets other point?

In a thread asking for input on a problem, her post is useless and makes others have to wade through more to find an answer. Other than showing you how to do what you're asking, her post is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom