Why is the minimum character limit there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's a bit too high.
(though since that very simple sentence was 30 characters I may be wrong)

The thing is:
Your argument does die. you cannot help people in less than 10 chars.
(and that's it, end of argument)
the only thing you can do is write

+1
I agree
I'd try that <-actually that's 12 and still useless
epic
win
ftw

etc, all completely pointless things - why should a forum want people to write useless responses?

feel free to prove me wrong, by linking to a post where a solution was given in a ten char or less response.

Although I am a hypocrite for saying this, because of my past post where I myself used a similar trick, I feel like positive feedback is a good thing for a simple agreement.

I disagree with ya'll besides Draygoes lol. All the time, someone asks a question where the answer is simple YES, or a joke is posted where it is simply Lol!, and I see all the time people posting( Ten characters..) and so on just to make the limit. Someone asks, "hey did you get that from amazon?"
"Yes, ten letters later ". Earlier, biker answered a question to someone else with a simple yes, and I was confused for at least 10 minutes because he wrote " Yes. ( Tencharacters ) ". It is very annoying and I agree with draygoes, it should be moved down to at least 3 characters. For words such as: "No." ( adding the DOT as a character making 3 ) "Yes", " Lol" etc. My 2 cents. Agreed with Draygoes.

The only time using ten characters or less is useful, is when someone asks you a yes or no question.

There's no point having a character limit if it's not enforced properly though, it's a bit of a pointless rule to have in place if it's not. Likewise, by enforcing the rule with warnings, I can see that it may annoy people, and annoyed people just don't come back ;)

Although I am a hypocrite for saying this, because of my past post where I myself used a similar trick, I feel like positive feedback is a good thing for a simple agreement.

Which is needed how often?

All the time, someone asks a question where the answer is simple YES

I'd be willing to wager money that you can't find 15 legitimate threads where that is the case, without an exuberant amount of searching.

for a joke is posted where it is simply Lol!, and I see all the time people posting( Ten characters..) and so on just to make the limit. Someone asks, "hey did you get that from amazon?"
"Yes, ten letters later ".

Maybe this is a generational gap kind of thing. What's the value add of a comment "lol"? The person who made the joke posted it because it was a joke, assuming they're going to get some lols. But, if every single person that laughed at it posted "lol", how full of shit posts would this forum become? We're well on our way already with "LOL (tencharacters)" posts. Really? You had to post lol? Is this facebook? No, we're not trying to discourage social interaction, but at the same time posts like that tend to drive traffic away. If you're okay with that, then I'm not okay with you. Go ahead and test me on this too.

Earlier, biker answered a question to someone else with a simple yes, and I was confused for at least 10 minutes because he wrote " Yes. ( Tencharacters ) ". It is very annoying and I agree with draygoes, it should be moved down to at least 3 characters. For words such as: "No." ( adding the DOT as a character making 3 ) "Yes", " Lol" etc. My 2 cents. Agreed with Draygoes.

Yea that's right.
Yes, you are correct
@NikonGuy; Yes!

There is more than one way to skin a cat if absolutely necessary (which I believe was covered in depth before)

There's no point having a character limit if it's not enforced properly though, it's a bit of a pointless rule to have in place if it's not. Likewise, by enforcing the rule with warnings, I can see that it may annoy people, and annoyed people just don't come back ;)

it's not a rule

If there was a rule about character count, that would be unenforceable. I'm sure as hell not going around counting.

it's an anti-spam measure

It's a simple block to prevent a very specific kind of spam, that's it. We're not saying you can't open your mouth if you don't have much to say (although I've been lobbying for it), we're just trying to keep the bots out.

Now,
Given the above round and round, I still find it curious that this continues to be an issue. The last time this thread was hot, it ended with "Oh, I can say lol and just hide the ten characters... I'm okay with that because of how rare we do this."
Now we bring it back up a month or two later because it's Soooooo inconvenient? Again, there are few times when "Yes", and "Lol" are the answer anyone was looking for. At this point, I'm with Seti in raising it, and maybe even just having every post shorter than ten characters go into review. That way we can just delete the shit ones and keep the ever so common legitimate "Yes"'s

Yea that's right.
Yes, you are correct
@NikonGuy; Yes!

There is more than one way to skin a cat if absolutely necessary (which I believe was covered in depth before)

This. Not only that but adding an explanation of why the answer to the question is yes or no gives the person asking it more information so they can learn from the question.

Example:
"Does this AM1 CPU fit in the LGA775 motherboard"

A correct answer would be "No". Perfect right? Well then the person might go on and ask again about another AM1 CPU. Great, now he's wasted his time. A much more helpful answer would have been "No, an AM1 socket CPU will not physically fit into an LGA775 motherboard". Bonus points would be awarded to showing them a list form amazon, newegg or where ever valid CPUs that would work for him.

As such, your accurate, but pretty useless, post of "No" has become something much more useful that will help the user learn and took mere seconds more to type.

Actually, I do see where you guys are coming from. But most truly useless posts get removed anyway right?
Posting "LOL" to a joke probably is generational, but it does show your approval to a joke. Doing that same thing in an important discussion, that would be somthing that you would want to remove.

But then the mods would have to look at each and every post in a thread. The mods, admins and responders have a life away from here. It would be time consuming to say the least.

But then the mods would have to look at each and every post in a thread. The mods, admins and responders have a life away from here. It would be time consuming to say the least.

Exactly, and I think I speak for the rest of the team when I say "They don't pay me enough to count characters in every single post in a day". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom