Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #51
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: We need a jokes section

hes online. just replied to the "13000" thread. a response would be nice i must admit
__________________

__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #52
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: We need a jokes section

Quote:
Originally Posted by istonian
I think this will happen. Too many people want it. I think most of the people would like it a lot.
Not everybody wants it, there have been a few people for and a few people againt. it's not definitly going to happen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenox
Well, why aren't any mods getting back to us? You'd think with all the hype generated that we want this, that they would do it, isn't this the suggestion section?
perhaps you could come back with some more points.
so far we need a joke section because jokes are cluttering up the social lounge?
but it's already been pointed out that this doesn't need a new section, a thread would suffice just as well. I even pointed to threads on other forums to proove that this idea works a load better.
you thikn a thread will be confusing.
but IMO a forum would be a waste! it'll be quiet underused and full of useless posts.
a thread is a much better idea because then you can just scroll through loads of pages reading loads of jokes. much better than a section where you have to go between different threads for each joke.
regarding the other quiet forums. yes, they may be 'wasting space' but you have to realise that they are already there, and that's why they are still there, if you were to make an actually well formed co-herent argument for why a jokes forum was absolutly necessary and couldn't be done any other way, then I imagine that it'd definity happen. but until then I don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz
Good idea, but i dont think it will happen
so not everyone really supports this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenox
That makes no sense. If he's busy, how does he somehow have time to reply in useless threads, example is the Elvis thread in the social lounge. Yet a thread that has been at the top of the forum he doesn't see for two weeks? That's bullshit. How about you post something in the mod section or w/e and have him come in here, read alt the suggestions, and then come to a conclusion. But him being o'so busy to not read this, an entire fabrication.
so far as what threads David has the time to respond to.
I'm busy, I don't have time to respond to all threads also. in fact I've been here for ages before I even got to this thread. why should David be somehow running around answering each and every request?

besides which, you already know that if David comes in here saying no, and citing reasons everyone will only argue how valid those reasons actually are, so perhaps he's saving his breath!

I've been too busy to read this thread. in fact I was so busy that I finished my last post half way through.
why do you think that David can't be that busy?
__________________

__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #53
Daemon Poster
 
GlasseyeUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,208
Send a message via MSN to GlasseyeUK
Default Re: We need a jokes section

I haven't really got a view on having a joke's section, I personally quite like coming across random jokes in the social lounge and I think that having an identified section for it, spoils it a little.....

But Root, I disagree with you on one point, what is the point of having a feedback, suggestions, comments section when the administer does not respond, it is very rarely that David will respond to the forum, and there have been many occasions where it has appeared that the mods have been in the dark as much as the members here. I believe in this it has led to threads and queries going on needlessly where they could of been resolved from a simple yes or no....

This is place is David's and he has built it up, and thats fair kudos to him, however it would be appreciated if he did respond to particularly this part of the forum as the owner and administrator it would be simply helpful to the members of the community for him to respond to issues such as this, or any other that may arise.

However in the same breath I do understand that he may be busy, or he may not be, he may put in exactly the amount of energy that he wishes to, and he may rely on his moderators to push across his opinion or view, in that case, I would wonder does he keep you all informed of what his feelings or views are on particular matters, because in all honesty it does not appear that way.

Anyway to prevent myself rambling on I will leave it there, but imo and this is strictly my own opinion members would feel more valued if the person who actually had the say would respond to the comments particularly in this section, even a simply no, yes or maybe.......would be helpful in my eyes.
__________________
AMD Athlon 64, 2200 (11x200) 3700+,ASRock 939S56-M, SiS 756 AMD Hammer,NVIDIA GeForce 6600LE, 2048(DDR SDRAM), Maxtor 5A300J0 300GB 5400RPM, Ultra ATA/133)

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
GlasseyeUK is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #54
Golden Master
 
Raffaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,798
Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: We need a jokes section

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
so not everyone really supports this
Where did i say i dont support it???
I said its a good idea, but it wont happen, simply because nothing ever does in the suggestions area
Raffaz is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #55
BSOD
 
Jenox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,156
Default Re: We need a jokes section

Quote:
Anyway to prevent myself rambling on I will leave it there, but imo and this is strictly my own opinion members would feel more valued if the person who actually had the say would respond to the comments particularly in this section, even a simply no, yes or maybe.......would be helpful in my eyes.
I agree entirly. And that's part of what I was tryign to say as well. Thanks.

Quote:
perhaps you could come back with some more points.
so far we need a joke section because jokes are cluttering up the social lounge?
but it's already been pointed out that this doesn't need a new section, a thread would suffice just as well. I even pointed to threads on other forums to proove that this idea works a load better.
you thikn a thread will be confusing.
but IMO a forum would be a waste! it'll be quiet underused and full of useless posts.
a thread is a much better idea because then you can just scroll through loads of pages reading loads of jokes. much better than a section where you have to go between different threads for each joke.
regarding the other quiet forums. yes, they may be 'wasting space' but you have to realise that they are already there, and that's why they are still there, if you were to make an actually well formed co-herent argument for why a jokes forum was absolutly necessary and couldn't be done any other way, then I imagine that it'd definity happen. but until then I don't...
I'm not sure why somethign has to be a necessity in order for you guys to implement it. We don't NEED an electronics section, but it's there, we don't need an IM section, but it's there. Nor do we even NEED a Social Lounge, but it's there. So once again, what's your point?

I'm not trying to be an ass towards you root, but seriously, this is ridiculous. A damn good percentage of people want this to happen, yet David won't reply, you're the ONLY mod who consistantly replies, so thank you VERY much for that.

A jokes section should be established because it should be a subforum of the social lounge, because subforums are forums that are associated with that general subject but are indirectly different in a sense. Example Given: CPUs/Processors of the General hardware/Software forum. Jokes or "Funny", heck this whole idea just doesn't have to be limited to or only jokes, it could be "funny" "interesting" "humorous" whatever.

I'm just not seeing why David isn't replying, and how this has to become a necessity in order for it to be implemented is all. If you can explain that then darn, I'd be GLAD to go very in-depth about why I want this.
Jenox is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #56
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: We need a jokes section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz
Where did i say i dont support it???
I said its a good idea, but it wont happen, simply because nothing ever does in the suggestions area
And thats exactly what is going to happen....nothing.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #57
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: We need a jokes section

i dont agree with this.. i cant see the point of adding a subforum inside the social lounge, thats the whole point of the social lounge, to talk about non computer related topics, jokes fall under this, mabye a stickied joke thread, but definatley not a whole new section.. it would just make the place look messy.. too many subforums is a bad idea, just mucks up the layout of the forum IMO..


and about the IM section and the electronics section; they are there because it is comptuer/technoligy related, and the social lounge is there so taht off topic threads arent made in the technical sub forums.

it is not needed IMO, and would make it messy..
__________________
'I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.'

Winston Churchill, 11/30/1874 - 01/24/1965
mark thorpe is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #58
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: We need a jokes section

Sorry, Raffaz, I didn't mean to incinuate that you didn't want it, just saying that yuo're one of the people who seem not fussed either way. there only seem to be a few people who are hardcore set on this acually happening.

Jennox
No. a damn good percentage of people don't want it to happen. Mr Mix says he doesn't see the point.
I just plain don't want it to hapen cause I think it's pointless.
and there wil be people both for an against that havn't spoken in this thread.

it has to be a necessity to implement it simply so david will get up and go to the admin pannel to actually implement it. it's as simple as that, provide an argument to convince him and it'll be done. there is no use sitting there saying I just want it without any real reasons to credit having it other than the fact that you think it may be a bit cleaner, or easier to find a joke or something.

Quote:
But Root, I disagree with you on one point, what is the point of having a feedback, suggestions, comments section when the administer does not respond, it is very rarely that David will respond to the forum, and there have been many occasions where it has appeared that the mods have been in the dark as much as the members here. I believe in this it has led to threads and queries going on needlessly where they could of been resolved from a simple yes or no....
That's exactly right. the mods are completly in the dark with regards what happens, cause none of us have the admin powers to add new boards.
the only thing the mods can do is look at threads like these and either suport the idea or shoot down the idea.
or do as I'm trying to do and provoke some kind of discussion about it...

like I said, as it stands there is no clear or concise argument as to why a new board needs to be put up. get a real point, and a real argument an back it up.
the only reason that new boards have ever been added (IIRC) is because members have made good arguments, done their research (like looked at the posting habbits of people), won the support of the mods and said to david in a clear and unified voice that something needed to be done to actually improve the place.

that's how we got general electricals, that's how we got the media boards. and IMO that's the only way you'll get a jokes section.

here's a start,

go take a look in the social lounge, have a good count out of how many jokes there are and look at this as a percentage of the lounge.
if it were something like 10% of the social lounge was just jokes then that'd be a fairly great argument for getting a jokes board to get all the jokes out of the way of the conversation. but it's not, it's something like 1% and the only reason that they are in the way is because people tend to bulk post a lot of jokes at once, rather than just posting all of their latest greatest jokes in a single thread.

and I still say that the best way to do this is a single sticky thread. I don't see how you can possibly say that people replying to jokes makes it confusing, people replying to the member photo threads doesn't make that confusing, how would it be different for a jokes thread?


or you could just continue to just say I want it without any real explenation of why it would benefit the forum in anyway what-so-ever -it's your choice.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #59
BSOD
 
Jenox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,156
Default Re: We need a jokes section

I do suggest though that the General Electronics section do get it's own forum. It's in the wrong place, it's a non-computer related forum in a heavy computer related enviorment.
Jenox is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #60
BSOD
 
Jenox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,156
Default Re: We need a jokes section

To root: Valid points. If we can't have a sub-forum then make the sticky thread? Surly there has to be come sort of compromise between the sub-forum and the sticky or whatever. I think we should establish some bases of what it is the supporters want and what the mods would like to see.
__________________

Jenox is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0