Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Unable to access threads after Firefox updates

I can access Computerforums without logging in, which is how I normally do it. But once in and seeing thread titles I cannot then access those threads. I get a blank screen saying:-

"The page isn't redirecting properly
An error occurred during a connection to www.computerforums.org.
This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies."

I haven't disabled cookies nor am I refusing to accept cookies. I am assuming that it isn't Computerforums that is causing this problem, rather Mozilla's updates which lately have been causing all sorts of problems world wide. I haven't come across anyone else on the web that are having the same problems as I am although that doesn't there isn't anybody. This problem has only just occurred after yet another Firefox update yesterday which installed itself on my laptop. When I used my desktop computer this morning I got the same update and the same problems happened with Computerforums. I'm pretty sure it is Mozilla's fault but I do not know what to about it. I am on many forums and other websites but it only seems to be Computerforums web site that is affected.

I am writing this post using Internet Explorer on Windows 10 Home. I would prefer not to have to use Internet Explorer or Edge. I suppose I could try DuckDuck Go.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: Unable to access threads after Firefox updates

I'm sorry you're having trouble. You might try purging your cookies and cache and seeing if that solves the issue. Windows 10/chrome here seem to be fine.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

I'm using Firefox (v72.01) with the forum and do not encounter any similar issues. I think purging cookies/cache as suggested by Janet is a good place to start.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Thank you Janet and Strollin. I have uninstalled Firefox using Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled it so that should have cleared everything out. I am using the same version of Firefox as you strollin but I'm still getting the same issues. I can access the site using IE but I really don't want to use that if I can help it. I'll keep plugging away and if I get it to work I'll let you know how.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

I still cannot get Firefox version 72.01 to work no way no how. But I have found a Beta version 73.0b3 here:- https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo...esktop-release and this version works fine.

I have no idea why the original version doesn't work and it doesn't work on my other computers BUT only for this site. Odd, very odd.

Edit. HHMMM nope it doesn't work if I set Firefox's options to "Never Remember History" Something I have always done and will continue to do so. I still have no idea why that setting should break things though and why only on this website. Itsa mystery,
Old 01-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

I was able to duplicate your issue on my system by changing the option to "Never remember history" so looks like you did find the cause.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Yep looks like Mozilla have messed up again after the Adblock debacle. Oh well I am definetly NOT going to use Internet Explorer or Edge or Chrome. So I will just have to change my preferences to Remember History every time I come here which is a PITA. Still It's odd that this is the only web site it affects, at least of the web sites that I use.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Weird. I never had that issue, but I am always signed in when I visit.
Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:25 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterTech View Post
Weird. I never had that issue, but I am always signed in when I visit.

Well I hadn't tried to see posts when I was signed in so I signed in but it wont sign me in just gives me the error message when I click okay.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Update on this problem. I went back to Firefox 65 and installed that, bearing in mind that it was version 72.0.1 when this problem started. It still does it in 65 so I'm inching towards it being a site problem. The ONLY option that I set in 65 was "Never Remember History."

Everything works fine in IE, Edge and Opera, but flippin eck Opera is an AWFUL browser LOL as is Edge and I don't want to use IE.

It might be a Windows problem but I haven't changed anything in Windows and at least one other person is getting the same problem. I could ask the Mozilla community I suppose but I don't hold out much hope of any joy there.

Ah well I will persevere.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #11
Daemon Poster

Update on the update. It happens in Linux as well, Xubuntu. I think they have done something to this web site.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:15 AM   #12
Fully Optimized

I notice some changed here from time to time. This could be one of them. The last one was an empty box at the bottom that I could close. Now it's gone. Unfortunately those changes didn't cover the software. It's version 3.8.8 Beta 4 while the latest is 5.5 or something.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:40 AM   #13
Daemon Poster

Yes those "empty boxes" are adverts. They show as empty if I have my adblocker on but have adverts if I use another browser to come here. I know that sites need adverts to survive, so they say, but I do not want to bombarded with their spam for that is what it is.

This problem, that I am having, is either caused by Firefox or this website. I'm 99.9999% sure it isn't Firefox because I have tried a very old version of Firefox and I still get the problem. There could be some Firefox left I suppose after I uninstalled it but I did use Revo Uninstaller in the hope of getting every last bit. I'm going to try a clean install of Windows next, which should clear out any remnants, and see what happens.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #14
Daemon Poster

HHMMMM just had a thought. It can't be left over junk in Windows because the same thing happens in Linux and I have Linux on a separate computer. Oh well that's that theory out of the window.

« 24 Hour Time? | - »