Unable to access threads after Firefox updates

pete.i

Daemon Poster
I can access Computerforums without logging in, which is how I normally do it. But once in and seeing thread titles I cannot then access those threads. I get a blank screen saying:-

"The page isn't redirecting properly
An error occurred during a connection to www.computerforums.org.
This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies."

I haven't disabled cookies nor am I refusing to accept cookies. I am assuming that it isn't Computerforums that is causing this problem, rather Mozilla's updates which lately have been causing all sorts of problems world wide. I haven't come across anyone else on the web that are having the same problems as I am although that doesn't there isn't anybody. This problem has only just occurred after yet another Firefox update yesterday which installed itself on my laptop. When I used my desktop computer this morning I got the same update and the same problems happened with Computerforums. I'm pretty sure it is Mozilla's fault but I do not know what to about it. I am on many forums and other websites but it only seems to be Computerforums web site that is affected.

I am writing this post using Internet Explorer on Windows 10 Home. I would prefer not to have to use Internet Explorer or Edge. I suppose I could try DuckDuck Go.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

I'm sorry you're having trouble. You might try purging your cookies and cache and seeing if that solves the issue. Windows 10/chrome here seem to be fine.

I'm using Firefox (v72.01) with the forum and do not encounter any similar issues. I think purging cookies/cache as suggested by Janet is a good place to start.

Thank you Janet and Strollin. I have uninstalled Firefox using Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled it so that should have cleared everything out. I am using the same version of Firefox as you strollin but I'm still getting the same issues. I can access the site using IE but I really don't want to use that if I can help it. I'll keep plugging away and if I get it to work I'll let you know how.

I still cannot get Firefox version 72.01 to work no way no how. But I have found a Beta version 73.0b3 here:- https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/all/#product-desktop-release and this version works fine.

I have no idea why the original version doesn't work and it doesn't work on my other computers BUT only for this site. Odd, very odd.

Edit. HHMMM nope it doesn't work if I set Firefox's options to "Never Remember History" Something I have always done and will continue to do so. I still have no idea why that setting should break things though and why only on this website. Itsa mystery,

Last edited:
I was able to duplicate your issue on my system by changing the option to "Never remember history" so looks like you did find the cause.

Yep looks like Mozilla have messed up again after the Adblock debacle. Oh well I am definetly NOT going to use Internet Explorer or Edge or Chrome. So I will just have to change my preferences to Remember History every time I come here which is a PITA. Still It's odd that this is the only web site it affects, at least of the web sites that I use.

Weird. I never had that issue, but I am always signed in when I visit.

Update on this problem. I went back to Firefox 65 and installed that, bearing in mind that it was version 72.0.1 when this problem started. It still does it in 65 so I'm inching towards it being a site problem. The ONLY option that I set in 65 was "Never Remember History."

Everything works fine in IE, Edge and Opera, but flippin eck Opera is an AWFUL browser LOL as is Edge and I don't want to use IE.

It might be a Windows problem but I haven't changed anything in Windows and at least one other person is getting the same problem. I could ask the Mozilla community I suppose but I don't hold out much hope of any joy there.

Ah well I will persevere.

Back
Top Bottom