Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2007, 03:43 AM   #21
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: Two things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le GoogelGuRu View Post
What operating system are we running on now?
Windows server 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
David go in to the admin functions and go to the maint programs. Delete the current thread index and build a new one. I used to do this once a week but have been a little lax lately due to my odd hours. Buzz runs those when he does the backups. It helps.
Its a little more complicated than that, there are some faulting modules in php that cause a few errors among other things
__________________

__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline  
Old 04-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #22
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,006
Default Re: Two things

TBH, I think the problem is a little more complicated than that...

I thikn that in all likelyhood it's possible that your servre is just doing far too much work, I mean all your sites run off the same server? all forums all using PHP/MySQL
that's a hell of a lot of data...

out of interest, how many databases are running on the server, and how big are those databases?
__________________

__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline  
Old 04-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #23
Golden Master
 
Raffaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,798
Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Two things

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon View Post
Nothing gets done? What have I upgraded? webserver software, database software, vbulletin, php
Fair point about the upgrades, but that still hasnt solved the problem, has it?
Raffaz is offline  
Old 04-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #24
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Two things

Well, something has to be done. I just tried to make a new thread in the general section 3 times and it never worked!! So I gave up.

If you want the forum to grow further and the members to stick around, it has to work properly.

Edit: David, if you don't know how to maintain forums properly and keep the site running smooth, then I suggest you get someone in here who does. Because it's apparent that the things you are doing aren't doing any good.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline  
Old 04-28-2007, 03:34 PM   #25
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Two things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Well, something has to be done. I just tried to make a new thread in the general section 3 times and it never worked!! So I gave up.

If you want the forum to grow further and the members to stick around, it has to work properly.

Edit: David, if you don't know how to maintain forums properly and keep the site running smooth, then I suggest you get someone in here who does. Because it's apparent that the things you are doing aren't doing any good.
thats a bit harsh. he is a busy person. im sure it will be sorted eventually
__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline  
Old 04-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #26
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: Two things

Today from about noon til 7.30 this evening, I didn't receive one CF email, wheras I normally get dozens every day, 'spect it's connected to Tommy Boy's experience [see post 24]
Brookfield is offline  
Old 04-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #27
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: Two things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield View Post
Today from about noon til 7.30 this evening, I didn't receive one CF email, wheras I normally get dozens every day, 'spect it's connected to Tommy Boy's experience [see post 24]
I've still been getting emails. I've restarted the email service just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post

Edit: David, if you don't know how to maintain forums properly and keep the site running smooth, then I suggest you get someone in here who does. Because it's apparent that the things you are doing aren't doing any good.
Ofcourse I know about maintaining servers, otherwise the site wouldn't be here. I will get it working though, just give me a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz View Post
Fair point about the upgrades, but that still hasnt solved the problem, has it?
My point was to show that I'm not just doing nothing, I am working on it.

Quote:
TBH, I think the problem is a little more complicated than that...

I thikn that in all likelyhood it's possible that your servre is just doing far too much work, I mean all your sites run off the same server? all forums all using PHP/MySQL
that's a hell of a lot of data...

out of interest, how many databases are running on the server, and how big are those databases?
The server is not stressed in any way, cpu and memory are fine. The CF DB is ~420MB and is fully indexed so no problems them.
__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline  
Old 04-28-2007, 10:24 PM   #28
Daemon Poster
 
thebigdintx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Two things

all i know is this forum is sure running fast right now, and it sure is nice! (it's 9:22pm u.s. central time on a sat night, so maybe that's why....fewer users maybe?). it's so much more enjoyable when it's running good with no error, and loads pages fast. i know it must be a lot of work trying to run it, so keep up the good work, and i'm sure you will continue to improve it's performance.
__________________
Antec 300 Case, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB Western Digital Black 7200 32MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watts
thebigdintx is offline  
Old 04-29-2007, 04:17 AM   #29
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: Two things

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdintx View Post
all i know is this forum is sure running fast right now, and it sure is nice! (it's 9:22pm u.s. central time on a sat night, so maybe that's why....fewer users maybe?). it's so much more enjoyable when it's running good with no error, and loads pages fast. i know it must be a lot of work trying to run it, so keep up the good work, and i'm sure you will continue to improve it's performance.
Hear hear!
Brookfield is offline  
Old 04-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #30
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Two things

it seems pretty fast now. i hope it lasts
__________________

__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0