Thread Delete

catalyst1

BSOD
So why can't we delete our own posts/threads? I don't see any problem with it. I think we should be able to. What do you guys think? Post reasons, too.

I don't see any reason why we should be able to do those things.

And why shouldn't we? Well I can't think of any good reasons, but here is 2 possible disadvantages.

I've heard that if u would delete a thread then all the posts would be gone and the ones who had posted in that thread would loose those posts from their post count. I'd imagine that if this is true it will also be the same with reputation points.

Some ppl would just delete a thread after they have got the answer. This is bad because someone else might get an answer to his problem by reading that thread.

It wouldnt cause that much havoc. If it's "deleted" The mods still see it there and can in a sense undelete it. Also, It does not affect reputation points.

Post count is affected, But people rarely delete big threads. If they do delete a big thread, then the mods can undelete it. It's hardly ever disabled on message boards, I dont understand why you would think it'd cause havoc.

Several not to let members delete threads/posts.
1> You could post something nasty and people report it. By the time the mods get there it's gone. I call it hit and run. Incedents like run ins with Giancarlo are a good exsample. Remember how he would edit his threads to make it look like he had been wronged. With the general membership having the power to delete post/threads this would be a nightmare coming back to haunt us all over again. This time it would be> "What thread/post?" 'Where's your evidence?" You want to deal with that? I damn sure don't.
2> Like stated others involved would loose post counts.
3> Like stated vital information would be gone.
4> The over all forum post count would go down.
It can be abused. So at most sanely run forums the admin and the mods are the only ones that can delete posts and threads.

Over at our old home, it was set up where even the mods couldn't delete a thread. Instead the thread or post was rerouted to a subforum we called the trash can. It was not visable to general members or mods and the content could only be seen and/or deleted by the admins. It's currently a work in progress at our new place.

I think the point is, if you posted a relevant, quality post, why would anyone want to delete it?

I know i look back on old posts to get information i need sometimes. if you get a answer then you delete it, later I(or other ppl) would have to ask again.

setishock said:
It can be abused. So at most sanely run forums the admin and the mods are the only ones that can delete posts and threads.

For the record, not even I have the permissions to delete posts and threads. I can move them to a place where only we can see them, but not actually delete them.

It's not a good idea for the above reasons , and that is why there is an edit button option so you don't have to delete .

Back
Top Bottom