Thanks - Coming Soon

I know giving lots of thanks is a good thing, but do we really need 2 thanks buttons on each post? ;)

The only problem with the old reputation system was the snowball effect of tenured members. Newcomers, the ones generally being helped, affected an established member's reputation the least out of any member in the forum. Someone who may have consistently been helping out in the Hardware forum wasn't receiving as much reputation as someone cracking jokes in the Social Lounge because established members hang around the Social Lounge and not as much in the Hardware forum. Couple this with the fact that you could give a member negative reputation and you really get a popularity contest.

I wholeheartedly agree with Berry and Lowndsey in that a public display of a person's reputation was better for the forum than worse. To account for the popularity contest, there is an easy fix. Get rid of negative reputation and make the points flat. Each time a member presses "Give reputation" the receiving member gets a point and the comment is displayed to the public. Done.

No public display means newcomers don't know who to trust, etc, etc. All the points have been made really. Stick around long enough and you'll see that there is quite a bit of different opinions on many threads. Enough to the point where discerning between an established member who is legitimately trying to help out and a member who just wants the attention is necessary.

What Joga said :)

In terms of the current thanks button, another minor point - the single option checkbox seems a bit weird, why do we need it since it's the only thing that can be selected? Is there a way to get rid of it?

Just tried out the Thanks button (on the first post in this thread) and it seems a little pointless to me. I get that it makes it convenient to send a quick "Thank you!" to another member, but how is it meant to replace the rep system? It doesn't even show how many people have thanked the post. I really don't see the point in this over just sending a PM unless the number of "thanks" clicks are displayed either on the post or on the users profile. I feel that this needs some work.

EDIT:
I tried thanking my own post (to see what would happen) and got a weird error:
This post has not received any reputation.

You currently have 0 reputation point(s).

What does this mean? I'm assuming it's because I tried thanking my own post, but shouldn't it at least say "You can't thank your own post!" or something?

Just tried out the Thanks button (on the first post in this thread) and it seems a little pointless to me. I get that it makes it convenient to send a quick "Thank you!" to another member, but how is it meant to replace the rep system? It doesn't even show how many people have thanked the post. I really don't see the point in this over just sending a PM unless the number of "thanks" clicks are displayed either on the post or on the users profile. I feel that this needs some work.
I think you're reiterating how a lot of us feel ;)

What does this mean? I'm assuming it's because I tried thanking my own post, but shouldn't it at least say "You can't thank your own post!" or something?
I'm assuming it's because it's built on top of VBulletin's reputation system, where it's normal behaviour to click the reputation icon to see how much reputation that post had earned - so that becomes the default behaviour of the thanks button.

So I received "Thanks" from a post I made, but I cannot see who gave it to me. I can see the post it was given for, and the comment, but not the person's name. Why is it anonymous?

Back
Top Bottom