Suggestions

BK_123

Golden Master
Hi all. I would like if anyone has suggestions and improvements that can be made, I have been thinking about that when new users get the PM saying welcome, it should also have something like checkout our how to guides and the post your rig here thread..

Please post your suggestions..

Last edited:
How about telling them, when seeking help, or advice, a complete description of their hardware is absolutely essential, or they cannot be helped.

Therefore, a sig. showing their machines hardware, would be most helpful. It will also avoid them having to re-type it all the time.

How about telling them, when seeking help, or advice, a complete description of their hardware is absolutely essential, or they cannot be helped.

Therefore, a sig. showing their machines hardware, would be most helpful. It will also avoid them having to re-type it all the time.

I was thinking about the specs and related matter myself, but I don't think the sig is the best way to go about it since, for one thing, a sig is meant to be used as a personal expression.

I think a better way is to explicitly ask for spec info by the hardware section along with a specific example as to what we're looking for and pin that to the hardware section.

I was thinking about the specs and related matter myself, but I don't think the sig is the best way to go about it since, for one thing, a sig is meant to be used as a personal expression.

I think a better way is to explicitly ask for spec info by the hardware section along with a specific example as to what we're looking for and pin that to the hardware section.
Problem with this recommendation is that nearly every other Computer Forum uses the Sig for system specs. People are just use to seeing them there.

Problem with this recommendation is that nearly every other Computer Forum uses the Sig for system specs. People are just use to seeing them there.

That may be. It would further help to have pinups in the hardware section and other forums for reinforcement.

The sig is where you'll find most computer forums would like for you to have them. In some cases with members having multiple systems they run out of room in the sig space. More space in the sig makes the message block too big but that's up to the forum owner.
However what you're missing is the fact that the vast majority of people comming to any computer forum are here one second and gone the next. They come in in a blind panic looking for an answer and then "poof". They're not going to go to the trouble of filling out some form or putting their system info in their sig.
If you make that mandatory or set the registration page up where you have to put something in, they're going to go somewhere else.
And when we set the posting rule up that in order for us to give you an answer that works, your system specs had to be part of the opening post, that too got ignored.
We've tried that before and it just didn't work out.

The sig is where you'll find most computer forums would like for you to have them. In some cases with members having multiple systems they run out of room in the sig space. More space in the sig makes the message block too big but that's up to the forum owner.
However what you're missing is the fact that the vast majority of people comming to any computer forum are here one second and gone the next. They come in in a blind panic looking for an answer and then "poof". They're not going to go to the trouble of filling out some form or putting their system info in their sig.
If you make that mandatory or set the registration page up where you have to put something in, they're going to go somewhere else.
And when we set the posting rule up that in order for us to give you an answer that works, your system specs had to be part of the opening post, that too got ignored.
We've tried that before and it just didn't work out.
This ^^^ ...all makes sense to me.

Frankly, I have to agree with OS-Wiz, I belong to many forum sites, and have for years, and this is the very first time I have ever heard that the signature area was meant for "personal expression", and not system specs....what????

Anyway, as seti says, it's most likely that anything that is effective, will probably drive people away.

I know I sure get tired of seeing...."Please help!!! My computer doesn't work anymore, what's wrong?"

Hameister said:

Just something like that to make it easier when giving help on a problem..

I agree with Setishock comment and just to put your computer specs up is only a personal choice for the member....
Nothing wrong asking questions and debate about your computer problems, after all that is what a forum is about.

Now back to your question you could include a few links to your new members to click on to read such as guides or important messages you wish for them to read.

I agree with Setishock comment and just to put your computer specs up is only a personal choice for the member....
Nothing wrong asking questions and debate about your computer problems, after all that is what a forum is about.

Now back to your question you could include a few links to your new members to click on to read such as guides or important messages you wish for them to read.

Yes I agree as well, Its just a suggestion not a compulsory thing. Yes things like so that know what we allow and what we don't..

Back
Top Bottom