Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
Golden Master

Smile Suggestions

Hi all. I would like if anyone has suggestions and improvements that can be made, I have been thinking about that when new users get the PM saying welcome, it should also have something like checkout our how to guides and the post your rig here thread..

Please post your suggestions..

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Suggestions

How about telling them, when seeking help, or advice, a complete description of their hardware is absolutely essential, or they cannot be helped.

Therefore, a sig. showing their machines hardware, would be most helpful. It will also avoid them having to re-type it all the time.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister View Post
How about telling them, when seeking help, or advice, a complete description of their hardware is absolutely essential, or they cannot be helped.

Therefore, a sig. showing their machines hardware, would be most helpful. It will also avoid them having to re-type it all the time.
I was thinking about the specs and related matter myself, but I don't think the sig is the best way to go about it since, for one thing, a sig is meant to be used as a personal expression.

I think a better way is to explicitly ask for spec info by the hardware section along with a specific example as to what we're looking for and pin that to the hardware section.
Tech Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Explorer View Post
I was thinking about the specs and related matter myself, but I don't think the sig is the best way to go about it since, for one thing, a sig is meant to be used as a personal expression.

I think a better way is to explicitly ask for spec info by the hardware section along with a specific example as to what we're looking for and pin that to the hardware section.
Problem with this recommendation is that nearly every other Computer Forum uses the Sig for system specs. People are just use to seeing them there.
i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS-Wiz View Post
Problem with this recommendation is that nearly every other Computer Forum uses the Sig for system specs. People are just use to seeing them there.
That may be. It would further help to have pinups in the hardware section and other forums for reinforcement.
Tech Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Wizard of Wires

The sig is where you'll find most computer forums would like for you to have them. In some cases with members having multiple systems they run out of room in the sig space. More space in the sig makes the message block too big but that's up to the forum owner.
However what you're missing is the fact that the vast majority of people comming to any computer forum are here one second and gone the next. They come in in a blind panic looking for an answer and then "poof". They're not going to go to the trouble of filling out some form or putting their system info in their sig.
If you make that mandatory or set the registration page up where you have to put something in, they're going to go somewhere else.
And when we set the posting rule up that in order for us to give you an answer that works, your system specs had to be part of the opening post, that too got ignored.
We've tried that before and it just didn't work out.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
The sig is where you'll find most computer forums would like for you to have them. In some cases with members having multiple systems they run out of room in the sig space. More space in the sig makes the message block too big but that's up to the forum owner.
However what you're missing is the fact that the vast majority of people comming to any computer forum are here one second and gone the next. They come in in a blind panic looking for an answer and then "poof". They're not going to go to the trouble of filling out some form or putting their system info in their sig.
If you make that mandatory or set the registration page up where you have to put something in, they're going to go somewhere else.
And when we set the posting rule up that in order for us to give you an answer that works, your system specs had to be part of the opening post, that too got ignored.
We've tried that before and it just didn't work out.
This ^^^ ...all makes sense to me.

Frankly, I have to agree with OS-Wiz, I belong to many forum sites, and have for years, and this is the very first time I have ever heard that the signature area was meant for "personal expression", and not system specs....what????

Anyway, as seti says, it's most likely that anything that is effective, will probably drive people away.

I know I sure get tired of seeing...."Please help!!! My computer doesn't work anymore, what's wrong?"
Old 10-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister

Just something like that to make it easier when giving help on a problem..
Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
MMM
Daemon Poster

I agree with Setishock comment and just to put your computer specs up is only a personal choice for the member....
Nothing wrong asking questions and debate about your computer problems, after all that is what a forum is about.

Now back to your question you could include a few links to your new members to click on to read such as guides or important messages you wish for them to read.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I agree with Setishock comment and just to put your computer specs up is only a personal choice for the member....
Nothing wrong asking questions and debate about your computer problems, after all that is what a forum is about.

Now back to your question you could include a few links to your new members to click on to read such as guides or important messages you wish for them to read.
Yes I agree as well, Its just a suggestion not a compulsory thing. Yes things like so that know what we allow and what we don't..