Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-29-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default start over?

With all of the db errors, what if David just wiped the entire thing, and we started again from scratch? would that help to fix the problems? I'm sure we can all live without the archives.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: start over?

he has seen this said but didnt comment on it

Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #3
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
With all of the db errors, what if David just wiped the entire thing, and we started again from scratch? would that help to fix the problems? I'm sure we can all live without the archives.
I don't see that as an option, I understand from David that doing that isn't as simple as it sounds, feasable with a home computer, but CF's must have a huge memory capacity, storing possibly half a million or more items, it's virtually impossible to do logistically, take mine for example, AVG searches around 54,000 items & that's peanuts compared with some members PC's, perhaps members would like to tell us how many they have, how many do you?
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:32 AM   #4
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
Wow, out of all the ideas I've seen in this forum this one takes the cake. Why would you want to erase all the data from the forums and start from scratch? A forum is meant to grow.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320

If i remember the DB Errors are being cause by a not so reliable server.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield View Post
I don't see that as an option, I understand from David that doing that isn't as simple as it sounds, feasable with a home computer, but CF's must have a huge memory capacity, storing possibly half a million or more items, it's virtually impossible to do logistically, take mine for example, AVG searches around 54,000 items & that's peanuts compared with some members PC's, perhaps members would like to tell us how many they have, how many do you?
Umm... what does AVG searching files for viruses have to do with removing files from the server? It wouldn't take long if David was willing to do it to just delete the MySQL database, but then we'd all have to re-register and everything again.

Personally... I don't think we should erase anything. It's not the size of the files that's the problem, I've saw forums much larger than this one that functioned properly.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990

If we don't have the content, we won't get indexed properly on search engines. Not a good idea IMO.
joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicAddict911 View Post
Umm... what does AVG searching files for viruses have to do with removing files from the server? It wouldn't take long if David was willing to do it to just delete the MySQL database, but then we'd all have to re-register and everything again.

Personally... I don't think we should erase anything. It's not the size of the files that's the problem, I've saw [correction; seen] forums much larger than this one that functioned properly.
I was just making comparisons between "small" computers & CF's which would be a nightmare if that huge amount of memory had to be recovered, I didn't mention the server as I thought that wasn't the problem we'd been discussing.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield View Post
I was just making comparisons between "small" computers & CF's which would be a nightmare if that huge amount of memory had to be recovered, I didn't mention the server as I thought that wasn't the problem we'd been discussing.
Yeah it's not really related, and has nothing to do with memory.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
Yeah it's not really related, and has nothing to do with memory.
OK, thanks.