Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #81
In Runtime

Default Re: Site Merger with Techist

The sad truth is that both forums are in slow decline. Andy and his team are hoping that by combining the two sites we can kick-start the conglomerate whole back into some form of growth.

Tech-Forums, now Techist, is a larger forum in theory but not in practice (almost 82K members but probably a little over 100 active). CF has about 32K members and even fewer active. By merging the two we will have an overall larger active base. Add to that the combining of talent from both forums and therein lies the potential to take things in whole new directions.

I always try to look on the bright side.

TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #82
BSOD

Hi Trotter! I think that all help forums are slow and on decline. I don't know why that's happening.
I'm thinking that people don't need help forums like they have in the past, but I can't give you any solid reason for that. Combining the talent is a good thing.
I'm really hoping things work out for Andy and his team.
I'll try to look on the bright side also.
I hope I don't sound negative. I have been on large forums before and they just don't have the positive things You find here on these two forums.
Those are my thoughts and I hope they aren't negative.
PS I just don't understand why more members don't post on both forums now. Not very many are doing that???
Gary!!

donetao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #83
Fully Optimized

@Gary,
They seem to be on a slow decline due to (not so much better) social media sites like FB.

My 2cents is to at least give the merge its chance. Users will have disagreements, and the site teams from both sites will sort them out.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #84
Fully Optimized

One reason that PC oriented help forums are on the decline is because the PC world itself is shrinking. Many people (not all) can do everything they need/want to do with a tablet or smartphone so don't use computers as much.

People like the ones that hang out on CF or TH are usually the ones that feel they can't get by without a computer but many are tech savvy so don't require much in the way of help!
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #85
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
One reason that PC oriented help forums are on the decline is because the PC world itself is shrinking. Many people (not all) can do everything they need/want to do with a tablet or smartphone so don't use computers as much.

People like the ones that hang out on CF or TH are usually the ones that feel they can't get by without a computer but many are tech savvy so don't require much in the way of help!
This is very much true. In most cases at least.
People search Google to find answers, and we are not the top result...
Old 08-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #86
BSOD

Quote:
This is very much true. In most cases at least.
People search Google to find answers, and we are not the top result...
Hi exactly!! That's why we need to be first answer on Google. We can do that. In fact I think some of our threads should be the top answer on Google, but that will take time and we'll get there!! Also true that the PC world is shrinking. I don't know if a merger will help, but we won't know until we merge!!
Gary!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #87
Wizard of Wires

If we could do how to's that would be a big help. Like the in a rut thread I started, we need to do more builds and how to mod this and that. That seems to have fallen out of favor with a lot of members because it takes time to do something, snap a pic, then move on to the next step, snap a pic.
I don't mind doing that. I have plenty of time and a really nice camera. I took over 500 pics to do this thread > DJI FlameWheel 550 build (Completed))
By doing it that way I get the best shots. But it takes time and batteries for the camera. I'll do it if the responses are civilized and concern something I'm doing. Otherwise I'll drop the thread like an ex wife.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:03 PM   #88
BSOD

Hi seti! I think a lot of members enjoyed your thread "In a rut" I know I did even though I know very little about the subject. I'm sure you will get positive responses if you start some "How to do" threads and they will get noticed on the web. I wish I was smart enough to do that! Get-er-Done seti!!
I like your suggestion!
Gary!!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:47 PM   #89
In Runtime

Question about the merger. If someone was banned on techist and then joined this website, and was never banned here, after the merger, will they be banned? I don't know anyone like this, I just thought it's a good question lol.
Asus USB 3.0 Mobo - 16Gb DDr3 1866mhz Ram - AMD FX 6300 Hexa core 4.0Ghx OC - Corsair CX600M PSU - Corsair H80i Cooler - Gigabyte Gefore GT 730 2Gb GDDr5 - WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm - WD 360gb 5200rpm Backup drive.
NikonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #90
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonGuy View Post
Question about the merger. If someone was banned on techist and then joined this website, and was never banned here, after the merger, will they be banned? I don't know anyone like this, I just thought it's a good question lol.
Darn good question.

Since I will be one of if not the main to make that decision I would have to say that it would have to be on a case by case basis. That may sound like a cop out but its not. I have unbanned people before when there was a good enough reason. TF/Techist goes back a long, long ways and someone banned from there may or may not even be remembered. Records were not kept very well back in the wild and woolly days so the why may not even be there for looking over.

There are some who were banned who will NEVER be allowed back but these are few and far between. I can think of three off the top of my head.

TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote