Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #41
Site Team

Default Re: Site Merger with Techist

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
setishock
Golden Master

It's taken 10 years to get to 9328 posts. There was an incident a while back where members got the post counts scrubbed off. Somebody hit the recalculate post counts button in the admin control panel. A lot of members post counts are not a true reflection of what all they have posted. Some one got careless. I'm short about 300 posts.
Vbulletin has a quirk... when you make posts your counter increments upward but if one is removed or two posts merged (leaving one) the counter does not go down. It is extremely likely when the sites are merged that the post counters will be updated. That is, your actual number of posts will be tallied. If you've ever had a post removed or merged you will see a downward change. Post count always seems to be a contest and I'm not really sure why. Having lots of useful or informative posts seems more important than the total number, imo.

Quote:
If you plan to merge two live forums together, you're playing with fire. If something goes wrong, and Murphy is alive and well, trust me, it's going to be a disaster.
Each site will be fully backed up prior to a change. In fact each site is backed up nightly anyway That said there are always a few bumps along the way. One of the big issues is that there is down time at merges. We can test endlessly but at some point both sites have to be backed up, turned off so that no new posts are being made and merged. As noted earlier - we are going slowly; cautiously.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #42
In Runtime

Janet, curious, over at TF, Off-Topic posts never counted towards ones post-count... So it's possible if that is kept the same, overall counts for many here might go down a good bit, right?

C0RR0SIVETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0RR0SIVETF View Post
Janet, curious, over at TF, Off-Topic posts never counted towards ones post-count... So it's possible if that is kept the same, overall counts for many here might go down a good bit, right?
It is possible but another option might be to change the limitation over at TF. In that case post counts would go up
Old 06-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #44
In Runtime

...I don't even want to fathom what some post counts there would be if that changed.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #45
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0RR0SIVETF View Post
That used to be the case but no longer. I reinstated post count for OT a while back; a few noticed it after about a week. The only forum that does not count now is the Intro forum.

As Janet said, post counts should remain the same and only drop by those lost through removal or merging. I figure yours, mine, and a few others will go up when our accounts from here and there are merged.
TrotterTech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:15 AM   #46
Fully Optimized

Oops, I knew I should have used the same name on TF as here...

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #47
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterTech View Post
That used to be the case but no longer. I reinstated post count for OT a while back; a few noticed it after about a week. The only forum that does not count now is the Intro forum.

As Janet said, post counts should remain the same and only drop by those lost through removal or merging. I figure yours, mine, and a few others will go up when our accounts from here and there are merged.

Wait, wuh? But there was solid reason not to count OT 0.0... No wonder my post count has kept going up for no real reason.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #48
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
Oops, I knew I should have used the same name on TF as here...
You can always request that the admins on whichever site you want change your name to match

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:28 AM   #49
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
You can always request that the admins on whichever site you want change your name to match
<3

tencharacterlimit

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #50
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
I love how helpful the moderators and admins around here are. I have been a mod before, and so I understand the stress. Still, you guys get around that like it is nothing, and on a forum much larger than I used to help moderate no less. Just thought that I would give my thanks.

@Everyone on top,
Please do keep us informed, as being blind sided by a sudden site change is one thing that I cannot stand.