Removing older and unactive members...

StratosP

Fully Optimized
There are many people on this site that registered years ago and have only 0-10 posts and haven't logged in since they registered.
I mean, we could free up some space and new people could register using their names.

I think we should remove them if they haven't been on in a certain amount of time (years) and have under a certain amount of posts.

Can you write an algorithm to automatically do this? Like if a user has 10 or less posts and hasn't been active for over a year they're deleted.

Can you write an algorithm to automatically do this? Like if a user has 10 or less posts and hasn't been active for over a year they're deleted.

The vBulletin admin control panel has that sort of thing built in so it's not exactly hard to do. IMO it gives even less of an excuse for not doing it.

Even if it didnt, it wouldn't be hard to write a mySQL script/query thingie to do it for you.

might be good to optimise the site, but would make the stats look very bad. just leave it as it is imo.

Say we have 1 million registered members.(just an example)
And we get rid of 1,000 for 3 years of inactivity and 0 posts.

The figure 1 million registered users could stay the same because really 1 million people have registered, just that 1000 got their accounts deleted.

And David, if you don't want this to happen then don't, it's not really a big issue....But the history isn't of use to us to we might as well free up some space and new people could register with a new name.
Like in the todays birthdays list, I think ALL or NEARLY ALL of the members had 0 posts. And one of them had a name Zeus, which could be taken by another person if that account were deleted.

You can set this up as a rule too, like:

WARNING! Any account that has been inactive for 3 years and has under 10 posts will be permanently deleted.

You could also send them an E-Mail to warn them, just in case they forgot about the site.

OR, we could keep that account, but when another person wants that name we could remove it.

Delete the users who have 0 posts, not like they were part of the "history" or anything. Im sure there are several thousand members with 0 posts

Back
Top Bottom