Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 AM   #81
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Remove the rep system?

Because David made it that way

Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #82
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

Quote:
And that is the only reason that we need.

Cheers!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #83
Golden Master

90% of the new members you help don't give rep anyway and you can contribute to the forums in the Social Lounge just as much.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #84
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to tom-knox

^ x2

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
Old 02-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #85
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
You can enable/disable rep on a per forum basis without modding vb itself
Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #86
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to culexor

im thinking they should remove negative rep just because if you dont like what someone posted, ignore it. it doesnt mean that they dont give good advice or anything. also, there have been a few occasions where i was -repped but the comment made it clear that it was supposed to be +rep

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio101 View Post
im thinking they should remove negative rep just because if you dont like what someone posted, ignore it. it doesnt mean that they dont give good advice or anything. also, there have been a few occasions where i was -repped but the comment made it clear that it was supposed to be +rep
I agree for the most part. I neg rep. when people start becoming very annoying. It's just one of those, "Get a clue dude." comments. I'd really like rep to reset and be disabled in the Social Lounge. The purpose of the Social Lounge is to converse with other members and stuff. The purpose of the rep system is to award reputation for those who help out with computer stuff. If you have a girl problem and you want to give rep to someone who helped you with a girl problem go to a girl problem forum. This is a computer forums, there fore your reputation should have to do with helping others and their computer problems. If disabling reputation on the Social Lounge already deletes rep you've gotten from there, then no need to clear it. Otherwise, I say reset. Also, if reputation is enabled/disabled on the general names of forums (ie: General, Technical, etc), then re-arranging them would be a sensible idea.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #88
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to shanaya Send a message via Yahoo to shanaya

I voted no. I have seen a lot of help being given even in the Social section, whether it be advice, feedback on other stuff, etc.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #89
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
I agree for the most part. I neg rep. when people start becoming very annoying. It's just one of those, "Get a clue dude." comments. I'd really like rep to reset and be disabled in the Social Lounge. The purpose of the Social Lounge is to converse with other members and stuff. The purpose of the rep system is to award reputation for those who help out with computer stuff. If you have a girl problem and you want to give rep to someone who helped you with a girl problem go to a girl problem forum. This is a computer forums, there fore your reputation should have to do with helping others and their computer problems. If disabling reputation on the Social Lounge already deletes rep you've gotten from there, then no need to clear it. Otherwise, I say reset. Also, if reputation is enabled/disabled on the general names of forums (ie: General, Technical, etc), then re-arranging them would be a sensible idea.
Why? Because you said so?

Just because this is a computer forum doesn't mean rep has to be strictly problem solving related. When David enabled rep after everyone complained about it for a few months, there were no rules saying that rep was only to be given for certain reasons or whatever. Why does it bother everyone so much that rep is given out 90% of the time in Social Lounge? Intelligent discussions or ideas can be expressed in the Social Lounge just as much as anywhere else and these could be "deserving" of rep. Even if they aren't, why does it matter so much that the system be revamped to be in the computer section only when half the new members:

(a) don't give rep
(b) give rep that has no effect on your score because they just joined

Even if you took out the restrictions on the effects of new members' rep, that would open up new doors for people to create multiple accounts to rep themselves in whatever section (and yes, people here would definitely do that) or get their friends to sign up and make stupid "I need help!" threads so they could get rep.

It's a green square (or a red square in some cases ). What's the big deal, seriously?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #90
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

I think the rep is a good measure of who is respected in general. A total noob here can have better advise than me any day of the week. Which is why its good in the social lounge.

Like I said, maybe make thanks available so the thanks can be like for the computer stuff and rep for the social lounge stuff.