Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Golden Master

Exclamation reCAPTCHA

This might be a good idea to install... the captchas are secure, dynamic and with all the spambots and whatnot signing up here, you might as well put them to good use.

I've seen vBulletin forums use reCAPTCHA before. There's probably a plugin for it at vbulletin.org...

http://recaptcha.net/learnmore.html

Quote:
reCAPTCHA is a free CAPTCHA service that helps to digitize books, newspapers and old time radio shows. Check out our paper in Science about it (or read more below).

A CAPTCHA is a program that can tell whether its user is a human or a computer. You've probably seen them colorful images with distorted text at the bottom of Web registration forms. CAPTCHAs are used by many websites to prevent abuse from "bots," or automated programs usually written to generate spam. No computer program can read distorted text as well as humans can, so bots cannot navigate sites protected by CAPTCHAs.

About 200 million CAPTCHAs are solved by humans around the world every day. In each case, roughly ten seconds of human time are being spent. Individually, that's not a lot of time, but in aggregate these little puzzles consume more than 150,000 hours of work each day. What if we could make positive use of this human effort? reCAPTCHA does exactly that by channeling the effort spent solving CAPTCHAs online into "reading" books.

To archive human knowledge and to make information more accessible to the world, multiple projects are currently digitizing physical books that were written before the computer age. The book pages are being photographically scanned, and then transformed into text using "Optical Character Recognition" (OCR). The transformation into text is useful because scanning a book produces images, which are difficult to store on small devices, expensive to download, and cannot be searched. The problem is that OCR is not perfect.
Example of OCR errors

reCAPTCHA improves the process of digitizing books by sending words that cannot be read by computers to the Web in the form of CAPTCHAs for humans to decipher. More specifically, each word that cannot be read correctly by OCR is placed on an image and used as a CAPTCHA. This is possible because most OCR programs alert you when a word cannot be read correctly.

But if a computer can't read such a CAPTCHA, how does the system know the correct answer to the puzzle? Here's how: Each new word that cannot be read correctly by OCR is given to a user in conjunction with another word for which the answer is already known. The user is then asked to read both words. If they solve the one for which the answer is known, the system assumes their answer is correct for the new one. The system then gives the new image to a number of other people to determine, with higher confidence, whether the original answer was correct.

Currently, we are helping to digitize books from the Internet Archive and old editions of the New York Times.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: reCAPTCHA

I use that oine one of my websites.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to NEED WOW NOW

I believe someone suggested this a while ago. I think Dave already installed it for when you register a account.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

yea its in here.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
yea its in here.
I don't think reCAPTCHA installed on this forum.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
Old 01-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
I don't think reCAPTCHA installed on this forum.
I know we have a captcha on here. I think they are all pretty effective, no?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Golden Master

Not the one built into vBulletin. As far as I know, most forums use the default one included, so it's easy to set the bot to bypass certain images by reusing the same passcode over and over again.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
Old 01-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED WOW NOW View Post
I believe someone suggested this a while ago. I think Dave already installed it for when you register a account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
yea its in here.
Yeah, the default captcha. Not reCaptcha, which is dynamic and helps digitize books.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

reCAPTHA would minimize the amount of bot spammers here..good idea!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
Golden Master

guys, how many spam bots target forums without any captchas? A LOT of them. When was the last time we had much spam?

Yea, it'd be great, but until we are 100% white screen free I think its best to keep the server less bogged down with other stuff.