Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default PM Time Limit

I know it's been posted before, and lowered a bit, but the 300 seconds we now have (5 minutes) is still too long. When I'm trying to PM back and forth to people, having to wait 5 minutes to do so is frustrating. Same if I have several messages that I have to reply to.

Can we have this flood control thing turned off for Gurus too or something? Most Gurus wouldn't go around spamming via PM, I see why its enabled for new members.
__________________

LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
The Candyman
 
~mr mixx~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,312
Default Re: PM Time Limit

I thought it was lowered already, It was never an issue w/me cause i only Pm once in a great while.
__________________

__________________
" Let the music move you "
~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: PM Time Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Guru
I know it's been posted before, and lowered a bit, but the 300 seconds we now have (5 minutes) is still too long. When I'm trying to PM back and forth to people, having to wait 5 minutes to do so is frustrating. Same if I have several messages that I have to reply to.

Can we have this flood control thing turned off for Gurus too or something? Most Gurus wouldn't go around spamming via PM, I see why its enabled for new members.
I agree, especially with trying to sell things, I want to just quickly respond, but I have to wait for 5 minutes.

If it could be turned off / lowered for Guru's, that would be awesome.
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
bullzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: US
Posts: 3,283
Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi
Default Re: PM Time Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105
I agree, especially with trying to sell things, I want to just quickly respond, but I have to wait for 5 minutes.

If it could be turned off / lowered for Guru's, that would be awesome.
yea i agree, i dont need it off, but lowered would be greatly appriciated
thanks, bullzi
__________________
-Desktop- Dual Monitor, Q8200 2.34Ghz, 8GB, 1TB, XFX 6850, 7 Ultimate
-ASUS UL50- SU7300, 4GB, 500GB, G210M, 7 Home Premium 64, XP Pro
-HP NC6400- Core Duo 1.86Ghz, 2.5GB, 64GB SSD, x1300, XP Pro
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: PM Time Limit

The time limit is too keep spammers from going nuts in the pm channels. To lower it would be opening the door to widespread pm abuse. if you need to talk like that then there are IM services. You can have several things going on a computer at one time.
It's just a security measure.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: PM Time Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
the time limit is too keep spammers from going nuts in the pm channels. To lower it would be opening the door to widespread pm abuse. if you need to talk like that then there are IM services. You can have several things going on a computer at one time.
It's just a security measure.
Yeah, we understand that, but would it be possible to say lower it for only Gurus or something? Not a big deal, but it's just a minor inconvenience.
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: PM Time Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
The time limit is too keep spammers from going nuts in the pm channels. To lower it would be opening the door to widespread pm abuse. if you need to talk like that then there are IM services. You can have several things going on a computer at one time.
It's just a security measure.
you can make a post in the forums every 30 seconds. Now if we would make the pm time 2 mins instead of 5, would it really matter? I don't think anyone would spam with pm's, they would still use the forum. It's faster, and a lot more people are going to notice it on the forum. I agree that there has to be a time limit with pm's too, but 5min is pretty rediculous. Doesn't bother me that much since I rarely use pm's, but if I have to reply to 2 or more I'm always going to have to wait a while.
__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: PM Time Limit

This again??

This has been suggested before, and it was like pulling teeth to get David to lower it by one minute......Don't expect any more.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: PM Time Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
The time limit is too keep spammers from going nuts in the pm channels. To lower it would be opening the door to widespread pm abuse. if you need to talk like that then there are IM services. You can have several things going on a computer at one time.
It's just a security measure.
Yes, but I meant lowered for Gurus a bit more... after all, the forum flood control is only 30 seconds, so why is PM so high?
__________________

LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0