Oh David

It doesn't mean you can't continue to use your current version as I understand it. It just means there is no longer any support for it.
I didn't know if you were aware of the EOL so I just thought I'd pass it along to you. It was not meant as a jab or to make any trouble for you and the gang here.

If you haven't paid the yearly fee then you're in a different catergory as far as the new license model goes. It's sucks the way they did it to be honest. If you don't visit the VB forum or frequent your ACP the warnings and message can go by unnoticed. Then they get ya.

I've said before that I have no problem making a donation to this site, I've been around here a long long time and I enjoy it and want to see it keep going and be the best it can be.

Hell, I'd even pay for the whole lifetime license if you wanted me to.

I'm pretty sure I could get some money your way. This is the only forum I take an active part in so like everyone else, I'm sure, I wish to see this place carry on.

I don't think we quite "need" vB4, but I don't full understand how all this works, anyway. :|

Do what you think is best.

Ouch, that's painful, David. :/

That sounds quite like the Windows upgrade path (Vista -> 7) when compared to the recent Apple offer for Snow Leopard which was offered to Leopard users (I believe) for less than $30 US if I remember correctly. I firmly believe that if you paid for the previous version, you should be get a discount, since the software is essentially a modified version of the previous release - a large percentage of what you're buying is included in something you bought previously. That's wrong >.<

Is there any particular reason you chose to use vBulletin over the alternatives?

since the software is essentially a modified version of the previous release - a large percentage of what you're buying is included in something you bought previously. That's wrong >.<

The second part I quoted, you're wrong about. VB 4.0 is a total from scratch program. The only thing you can use from the older version is the databases. And you can only merge them. None of the skins, add-ons, mods, or hacks work on VB 4.0 from the 3.x series. If you go 4.0 you have to find or make skins from scratch. If you used mods, hacks, and add-ons, you'll have to see if the author updated them to run on 4.0. Or you'll have to do it on your own.
Making the jump to VB 4.0 Publisher Suite is not a decision I made lightly. I knew it would be just short of starting over.
However David you can get just Forums 4.0 with out the CMS and Blogs. I'd check in to that.

The second part I quoted, you're wrong about. VB 4.0 is a total from scratch program. The only thing you can use from the older version is the databases. And you can only merge them. None of the skins, add-ons, mods, or hacks work on VB 4.0 from the 3.x series. If you go 4.0 you have to find or make skins from scratch. If you used mods, hacks, and add-ons, you'll have to see if the author updated them to run on 4.0. Or you'll have to do it on your own.
Making the jump to VB 4.0 Publisher Suite is not a decision I made lightly. I knew it would be just short of starting over.
However David you can get just Forums 4.0 with out the CMS and Blogs. I'd check in to that.

Ah, I see. I thought it was an upgrade. :)

Back
Top Bottom