Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Oh David

It doesn't mean you can't continue to use your current version as I understand it. It just means there is no longer any support for it.
I didn't know if you were aware of the EOL so I just thought I'd pass it along to you. It was not meant as a jab or to make any trouble for you and the gang here.

If you haven't paid the yearly fee then you're in a different catergory as far as the new license model goes. It's sucks the way they did it to be honest. If you don't visit the VB forum or frequent your ACP the warnings and message can go by unnoticed. Then they get ya.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

I've said before that I have no problem making a donation to this site, I've been around here a long long time and I enjoy it and want to see it keep going and be the best it can be.

Hell, I'd even pay for the whole lifetime license if you wanted me to.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320

I Second That.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

I'm pretty sure I could get some money your way. This is the only forum I take an active part in so like everyone else, I'm sure, I wish to see this place carry on.

I don't think we quite "need" vB4, but I don't full understand how all this works, anyway. :|

Do what you think is best.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #15
Fully Optimized

I'd chip in as well.
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post

Do what you think is best.
He's not allowed to.

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:30 AM   #17
Wizard of Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denthúl View Post
Ouch, that's painful, David. :/

That sounds quite like the Windows upgrade path (Vista -> 7) when compared to the recent Apple offer for Snow Leopard which was offered to Leopard users (I believe) for less than $30 US if I remember correctly. I firmly believe that if you paid for the previous version, you should be get a discount, since the software is essentially a modified version of the previous release - a large percentage of what you're buying is included in something you bought previously. That's wrong >.<

Is there any particular reason you chose to use vBulletin over the alternatives?
Quote:
since the software is essentially a modified version of the previous release - a large percentage of what you're buying is included in something you bought previously. That's wrong >.<
The second part I quoted, you're wrong about. VB 4.0 is a total from scratch program. The only thing you can use from the older version is the databases. And you can only merge them. None of the skins, add-ons, mods, or hacks work on VB 4.0 from the 3.x series. If you go 4.0 you have to find or make skins from scratch. If you used mods, hacks, and add-ons, you'll have to see if the author updated them to run on 4.0. Or you'll have to do it on your own.
Making the jump to VB 4.0 Publisher Suite is not a decision I made lightly. I knew it would be just short of starting over.
However David you can get just Forums 4.0 with out the CMS and Blogs. I'd check in to that.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

I'd also chip in
Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #19
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Denthúl Send a message via MSN to Denthúl Send a message via Yahoo to Denthúl

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
The second part I quoted, you're wrong about. VB 4.0 is a total from scratch program. The only thing you can use from the older version is the databases. And you can only merge them. None of the skins, add-ons, mods, or hacks work on VB 4.0 from the 3.x series. If you go 4.0 you have to find or make skins from scratch. If you used mods, hacks, and add-ons, you'll have to see if the author updated them to run on 4.0. Or you'll have to do it on your own.
Making the jump to VB 4.0 Publisher Suite is not a decision I made lightly. I knew it would be just short of starting over.
However David you can get just Forums 4.0 with out the CMS and Blogs. I'd check in to that.
Ah, I see. I thought it was an upgrade.
Denthúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #20
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndsey View Post
He's not allowed to.
Was that sincere or were you being sarcastic? I never know with you ;D