New Section

I dont think we should, if you have lots of different sections, such as motherboards, video cards, RAM, processors, everything will be alot more crowded.

Also, what if people have questions about two different sections, such as

Will this video card and RAM work with this motherboard and processor, and if so, how to I put it all together

Where do they go then? All four..

THat's why only the Hardware and Software sections need to split up into two separate forums. Forget the others. Makes perfect sense. It's not a major overhaul, but a simple division between the two. Software would be anything in the OS section, Photoshop, Office, WinAMP, Nero, DVD Copy, etc., etc. You get the idea. Hardware would be for motherboards, video cards, RAM, etc. If it's in regards to hardware, but you need drivers for it, that's software section. You need software for it, so that goes in the Software section. Hardware reviews, new monitors, recommend system builds, etc, etc, is in the Hardware section.

I can see this working pretty good.

I disagree you see, more sections - more mess, more spam, Im sure David has thought all this through countless times. I wish he would pop in here and give the final verdict.

I don't think you're getting the picture here. I'm not talking about splitting everything up, but I did suggest that before. Now, it would be easier to just split up the General Hardware and Software section to TWO separate sections. That's it.

"Computer Hardware"
"Computer Software"

The "Processor" and "General Electric" can be combined into the new "Computer Hardware" section, being a computer forum and all. That actually, if you think about it very very closely, relieves the congestion and eliminates some existing forums already so there won't be too many sections to monitor for the mods.

That would even it out pretty nicely. I would like to see how David would approach this so I'm giving him a PM in regards to this suggestion.

The Social Lounge, well, I don't think anything can be done in there seeing how it's a "social" place to chit-chat.

This is actually a very broad change and doesn't alter it a whole much, but it does give that feeling of relief in the General section and balance the posts can improve the image of the forum. I can see it working very well, seeing how most of us post up there.

I just don't know how easy it would be to migrate everything that's cluttered up in the General section seeing how there's like 180,000 + posts!!!! Unless, most of the past year threads get deleted and mods start migrating files over. Most of us don't even read old threads or post in old threads anyways so I don't think that will matter that much. Most posts get repeated anyways, lol.

well... assuming it does change then at least to start with everything can be in one forum and posts can be moved as and when mods have the time or inclination to move them...

I'm still not entierly for this idea though...
I mean when people come in saying that their PC has died what section does it go under ,software cause windows is no longer there, or hardware because the HDD died?

there are a lot of problems that appear in computers that are combined hardware and software problems, for instance anything to do with a printer, or installing a printer can easily go in both sections...

it just makes it a little harder for people to know where to put things...
however I do agree, the general hardware and software section is so big that sometimes posts can be pushed onto the second page just hours after they are posted, and so some questions never get answered.

IF this re-sort could fix problems like that then I do think this would be a good idea.

Also, (to keep the more minimalistic front page), I'd suggest that in order to make room for this split, the dedicated and shared hosting should be combined into a single 'Hosting' forum.

TRDCorolla said:
Well, at least split up the computer hardware and the computer software section
That sounds a good idea, other forum sites do this, how about it David? :D

joxley1990 said:
I disagree you see, more sections - more mess, more spam, Im sure David has thought all this through countless times. I wish he would pop in here and give the final verdict.
If this is David's view, I'm sorry, but I don't see how this would generate more spam, why should it?? I too would like him to give his verdict, then it would be clear.

I think it's a great idea for a forum, however I would also agree that making it divided into a ton of subcategories would be the wrong choice.

Building Computers just makes sense because SO many people ask how to do it/if their parts are good/what they've done wrong...

Unfortunately, judging by how people still post their Computer problems in Social Lounge, I doubt a lot of people would post their PC Building problems in a new PC Building Forum. Just a big headache for moderators...

Back
Top Bottom