Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US
Posts: 433
Default A new forum

It comes up too often about where to post a thread for computer discussion. I remember asking questions about defragging and ssds. Since I don't build computers and I don't have one to upgrade, then technically speaking I shouldn't post to the hardware section. Again, technically speaking, I shouldn't post to the SL as it's meant for non-computer related topics.

Others also have brought up their concerns in this area and others. So I'm proposing a new forum to go under general computing to be titled computer discussion as this is an imporant area that would help traffic.
__________________

Tech Explorer is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default

The social lounge doesn't have to be non-computer related. In fact there was a time when this is actually what the social lounge was for.
__________________

__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US
Posts: 433
Default Re: A new forum

I'm in agreement. Still there's confusion about where to post threads. In the light of what you brought up, I'd delete the part where it says "non-computer related" from the SL section which would help with traffic.
Tech Explorer is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: A new forum

How would it help traffic? Removing those words from that section won't draw more people here.

I don't think things are that bad. I don't see that many posts where people don't know where to put stuff since we re-organized last time around and usually when I do, people's gut seems to have put them in the right, or at least most appropriate, place. In the relativity rare case that things are in the wrong place, I have no problem saying "this is better in section X, let me move it for you".
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US
Posts: 433
Default Re: A new forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
How would it help traffic? Removing those words from that section won't draw more people here.

I don't think things are that bad. I don't see that many posts where people don't know where to put stuff since we re-organized last time around and usually when I do, people's gut seems to have put them in the right, or at least most appropriate, place. In the relativity rare case that things are in the wrong place, I have no problem saying "this is better in section X, let me move it for you".
To explain, from sales experience, I know that when people are confused they're less likely to take action whether it be in posting or buying. Things may not seem bad, but you
have to keep in mind that you're only hearing from the ones who care to comment. From experience, mine and others, for every one person who comments or complains, you'll have in the area of 5 - 20 people who don't.

The only way you'll find out for sure is to make the suggested change. I have nothing more to add.
Tech Explorer is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: A new forum

Now don't run off because I have an opinion that's different. I still don't understand how that'll make anyone who's found us on Google come in: particularly when very few people join a computer forum to stick to the social lounge.

My experience working at a computer store says people who generally know very little will go the the aisle (or forum section here) that they think has what they are looking for and hope. If that doesn't work they have no problem being re-directed by an employee. My experience on this forum as a member and a forum is things work just like my experience in the shop.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: A new forum

tbh I dont see how it is necessary . Most new members will just post in a section and if its wrong expect a mod will move it or something .

Tbh your sales experience isn't directly relevant here because in sales the confused people have money at stake when it comes to making their purchasing decision . whereas this is just a forum so I doubt people would agonize over where to post as much as you suggested .

As celegorm said it wont increase traffic coming form Google and once people are here they will post where everybody else posts their problem threads if its wrong we have a team of mods who can move it and let the poster know .
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US
Posts: 433
Default Re: A new forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Now don't run off because I have an opinion that's different. I still don't understand how that'll make anyone who's found us on Google come in: particularly when very few people join a computer forum to stick to the social lounge.

My experience working at a computer store says people who generally know very little will go the the aisle (or forum section here) that they think has what they are looking for and hope. If that doesn't work they have no problem being re-directed by an employee. My experience on this forum as a member and a forum is things work just like my experience in the shop.
I agree. People join up to learn, to help and to get help among other reasons. And yet I just took a look at the SL which showed 35 people viewing, more than any other forum, which has been consistent with the SL and indicates a strong interest.

Think about your own experience, how many times have you been misled by signs, e.g.? Or when you got confused by something that led to inaction. Like I said you'll never really
know until you give it a try. I'm sure it'll be a worthwhile effort.
Tech Explorer is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US
Posts: 433
Default Re: A new forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
tbh I dont see how it is necessary . Most new members will just post in a section and if its wrong expect a mod will move it or something .

Tbh your sales experience isn't directly relevant here because in sales the confused people have money at stake when it comes to making their purchasing decision . whereas this is just a forum so I doubt people would agonize over where to post as much as you suggested .

As celegorm said it wont increase traffic coming form Google and once people are here they will post where everybody else posts their problem threads if its wrong we have a team of mods who can move it and let the poster know .
Let's do this, paragraph by paragraph:

1) I would think that most new members would expect to post in the right forum. But more important are the ones who don't post.

2) In sales, I used to give newspapers away (no money involved, no catches). Even here, people "agonized" over taking a two-month free trial. I'll be awaiting your next argument on this.

3) Again the most important thing are the ones who don't post. And wouldn't it be nice to the moderators if they didn't have to move threads around?
Tech Explorer is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: A new forum

to do this point by point:

1) Nothing will ever make more people post after signing up. The SL is more popular because that's where our normal members who don't have any questions post. Even if we did everything perfectly in such a way that 100% of the people who visited the forum loved, people still wouldn't post. Mostly because they have nothing to say, but want to be able to should something come up. We've had a selection of people over the years who used to be "lurkers" to start posting and it happened on their own terms.

2) I would agonize over that as well. Usually there a catch, like "if you don't cancel in x amount of days we'll just charge your credit card or continue to send you stuff and eventually a bill". What we have here is a free service where making a wrong choice does not cost the user anything or send them a bill.

3) Again, we'll never get everyone to post. To add to my previous point, some of those being counted by the "people viewing" stat is bots so it will never be 100%. And honestly I rarely move posts. Back when we had the "articles" section on the top who's description stated it was computer articles we had a lot of people who ignored the description and posted there with questions. Now with that being relocated I'm unlucky if I have to move one post every other week.
__________________

__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0