Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Mac vs. PC

...no. I don't want anyone's opinions on either

What I was wondering about however was whether anyone would be for just adding an outright ban on mac vs. pc threads - we've had a few of them as late and they never end up going anywhere. At best they end up irritating everyone and containing loads of silly fanboy responses from both sides, at worst they end up causing huge arguments.

When there's so much on the web about this sort of thing already and it's been discussed many times here before (so if people want to search for said debates they can) then I really don't see the point in any new discussions on the topic.


Thoughts?
__________________

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
vampist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: Mac vs. PC

An all out ban, no.
A ban on a thread with the topic being nothing more than "mac vs pc", yes.

A few examples:

"Hello I'm new, to start off my posting; Mac vs pc" - No.
"Mac vs PC" - Yes.
"New macbook it can now do flips, does this change your opinion? Mac vs pc" - no
So if the topic is JUST mac vs pc. Then yes, but if there is any new information or it's a new user posting for the first time then no.
__________________

__________________
Everyone's Favorite Turd xD
ET: "Phone home!"
Geek: "ping 127.0.0.1"

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: Mac vs. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
...no. I don't want anyone's opinions on either

What I was wondering about however was whether anyone would be for just adding an outright ban on mac vs. pc threads - we've had a few of them as late and they never end up going anywhere. At best they end up irritating everyone and containing loads of silly fanboy responses from both sides, at worst they end up causing huge arguments.

When there's so much on the web about this sort of thing already and it's been discussed many times here before (so if people want to search for said debates they can) then I really don't see the point in any new discussions on the topic.


Thoughts?
There is a very simple solution for dealing with threads you find controversial or just annoying - don't participate in them. If you know the thread is going to end up in an argument, why would want to post in it in the first place? Some people like the Mac vs. PC debate. Just remember, nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to post. What you may find irritating, others may find fascinating. There is no need to ruin other people's fun unless that is what you enjoy (ruining other people's fun).
__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Mac vs. PC

Quote:
A ban on a thread with the topic being nothing more than "mac vs pc", yes.
I should've been more clearer - that's exactly what I meant.

Quote:
There is a very simple solution for dealing with threads you find controversial or just annoying - don't participate in them. If you know the thread is going to end up in an argument, why would want to post in it in the first place? Some people like the Mac vs. PC debate.
I don't find the mac vs. pc debate irritating in itself - if it could be done properly it'd be a worthwhile and interesting discussion. But that's not what happens whenever the topic is brought up here, and I can't see there's any use in any more generic "mac vs. pc" arguments.
Quote:
Just remember, nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to post. What you may find irritating, others may find fascinating. There is no need to ruin other people's fun unless that is what you enjoy (ruining other people's fun).
You've missed what I was trying to say somewhat I'm afraid. I don't find the debate irritating, I find the arguments and ad hoc misinformation from both sides irritating - which is what comes up whenever this sort of a thread is started. There's many topics on here that come up that I don't find interesting (and more that I find annoying or just don't like) so I just don't post in them. But I don't think it's beneficial to anyone to have a thread full of petty arguments and misinformation - which is practically always what these "debates" turn into!

If you disagree then fair enough, I'm not trying to cause more arguments and push this through as a definite rule. I'm just throwing it out there to see what others think - if no-one else agrees then fair enough!
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: Mac vs. PC

Yeah, I kinda figured it was pointless to have an opinion on this one. I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut next time...
__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
rohan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,087
Default Re: Mac vs. PC

The thing I find most annoying is the fact that all I hear against Mac's are price. People have no other excuse to hate on them. It's actually pretty funny. Then when I find laptops that cost the same amount which are made with really cheap plastic, they start to bitch about price again. I want a legitimate debate between the two. It's not the cost of a Mac vs. cost of a PC. People piss me off when that's all they talk about.
__________________
Macook 13.3

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,999
Default Re: Mac vs. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
There is a very simple solution for dealing with threads you find controversial or just annoying - don't participate in them
win


Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
...no. I don't want anyone's opinions on either
followed by
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan23 View Post
The thing I find most annoying is the fact that all I hear against Mac's are price. People have no other excuse to hate on them. .... People piss me off when that's all they talk about.
=Fail.




anyway. long story short. no ban on talking about specific subjects in threads. we've never banned specific subjects really -other than those defined in the rules. and I can't think of a good reason to start.

(especially not banning talk about computers on a computer forum).
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: Mac vs. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
win



followed by

=Fail.




anyway. long story short. no ban on talking about specific subjects in threads. we've never banned specific subjects really -other than those defined in the rules. and I can't think of a good reason to start.

(especially not banning talk about computers on a computer forum).
Thank you.
__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
rohan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,087
Default Re: Mac vs. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
=Fail.
How is that a fail?
__________________
Macook 13.3

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,999
Default Re: Mac vs. PC

he said don't argue about Mac Vs. PC and you one and only post in this thread is restating your last mac vs pc post regarding cost quality of macs and pc's

it's fail because you clearly didn't even read the thread, or if you did read you didn't understand. the OP is asking for a ban on discussing the difference between macs and pc's, not inviting you to discuss it here.

you so fundamentally missed the point of the first post in the thread that you far from stating your point that there might actually be a point to the mac vs pc discussions you in fact went almost completely off topic on a tangent of arguing about macs vs pcs.

so yes, when the point of the thread is saying that the OP hates mac vs. pc discussions, and your only contribution to the thread is to discuss the differences of macs and pcs it is a fail, a fail of quite epic proportions.

if you should like to discus the differences between macs and pcs I believe that a thread already exists in the social lounge [that has gone onto that discussion topic], and you should feel free to discuss the differences of mac v.s. pc there, this forum section however is suggestions comments and feedback, where threads (such as this one) are placed to amkes suggestions and ask for changes regarding the forum (like asking to ban all mac v.s. pc discussions). it is, most definitly, not the correct place to be discussing the differences between macs and pc, no matter how valid your point may or may not be.
__________________

__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0