Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #31
Golden Master

Default Re: Latest Version Of VB

Well depends on the script, but it's still extra clutter that you have to download.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by esa193 View Post
any way we can limit html to only gurus
You can format text, add pictures with vB code anyway, what do you need HTML access for?

Imagine if someone with html access was hacked and posted a thread that redirected with javascript to a spam site. Everytime a mod tried to load the thread to delete it, it would redirect. It would cause way to many problems

Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #33
Fully Optimized

Couldn't the mod disable HTML in their CP then go to the post? But I agree with you enabling HTML would cause problems. He just wants it for embedding YouTube videos, which can be made possible with a bb script if you decide you want to allow YouTube videos, but that's entirely up to you. But what do you think about the upgrade?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #34
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

my point exactly .. what about the upgrade?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #35
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

I'm all for upgrading to a new version, but totally against HTML as you mentioned.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 AM   #36
Site Team

So what do you reckon about upgrading David?..I really can't see any argument not to.

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #37
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

To be honest, I wouldnt really bother posting about this. It's been brought up about Sidways8 times
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #38
Fully Optimized

For what it's worth, I've been on other vBulletin-powered forums which suffer from white screens.

I think DJ-CHRIS is right, it must be some kind of bug or glitch which is causing PHP to bale when you pass data to it. That problem's not just confined to CF.

Personally I think vBulletin itself has a lot to answer for, you have to use PHP, MySQL which are fair enough, but Apache? That's outdated, insecure, clumsy garbage; newer versions of IIS run rings around it... but try getting PHP and MySQL to play happily with that...

I guess it's all PHP/MySQL so that the Linux crew won't get upset over it, if it was SQL Server/ASP.Net that would require David to install MS SQL Server which costs a fortune (the Express version is free but not nearly scaleable or durable enough for a job like this).

As I said in the other thread, I think an update would be a good thing but it has to be cost effective. VB 3.7 is expensive and 3.6.9 offers no real benefits for the time and effort it would take for David to set it up. I vote we stick to what we have for now, but David needs to maybe look at his security options and upgrade PHP/MySQL if it doesn't break anything; those are free and IMO there's little excuse for not having them if there's improvements to be had.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #39
Wizard of Wires

There are mods that can run a list of videos but as was stated for dial up and low bandwidth members it would be a royal pain in the butt. I have it at my anime place and we have it at our computer forum. It's neat but the mods here would have to be on their toes as for content.
The mass thread delete/member ban, while being a handy tool can be dangerous. If the settings are for perm ban and physical deletion of the members threads, a tempermental mod could ban a member and erase their threads for good.
A banned usergroup would have to be set up so the member gets moved to that while the threads either get moved to a holding area or just get soft deleted. Only staff level users could see them.
A supermod or admin would have to make the final decision as to how to handle it from there.
So like HTML some of the features have a down side. Those have to be weight in when making the call to upgrade to 3.7.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #40
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK31337 View Post
VB 3.7 is expensive and 3.6.9 offers no real benefits for the time and effort it would take for David to set it up. =.
Since when is not being hackable not a real benefit?

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote