Issues, im sure its database..again??

joxley1990 said:
Im sure if we had the newer VB, that phising attempt would not happen...
How? Its a seperate site on a seperate server?

If you bank used php rather than html would that stop you from receiving phising emails for your passwords?

It may be as simple as it's time to purge out old threads and inactive members out of the data base. There's stuff in here that's like 3 years old. If David wants that as a keepsake then just back up the database first then purge out the old stuff.

Yeah, there are a lot of inactive members and weird usernames and that kind of stuff that should be gotten rid of. Why he still has it around is beyond me.

That's secondary to providing a smoothly running site with helpful members.
The numbers make you look good and make it appear that you have more than you really do. One of you said one time that only about 30 of you actually come in and post.
The down side to a large database is it's easy to get hiccups in it that will drive you nuts trying to find it.
I propose to David to one night maybe on a Sunday night, back up the database then go in and purge any threads more than 2 year old and any members that have not posted in 2 years. Not move them to an archive, but instead delete them. Keeping in mind having the back up in case this doesn't resolve the problem it can be restored.

setishock said:
It may be as simple as it's time to purge out old threads and inactive members out of the data base. There's stuff in here that's like 3 years old. If David wants that as a keepsake then just back up the database first then purge out the old stuff.
I agree, there are hundreds on the members list, that joined 2 - 3 years ago, & have never posted, surely we can delete/close their accounts now, even if they object, they can't do anything, once they're PB'd...** views guys please.

ArrizX said:
Because he wants to keep the member list as high as possible.
That's a little unfair I think, we have over 15,000 members, I'm sure he wouldn't be concerned too much about a a few hundreds, even if there were a couple of thousand.

Brookfield said:
I agree, there are hundreds on the members list, that joined 2 - 3 years ago, & have never posted, surely we can delete/close their accounts now, even if they object, they can't do anything, once they're PB'd...** views guys please.

I like that idea we should deleate user accounts that have not ben accessed in idk say a year or so? and like old posts like Archive them like ones thate are about 5 or so years old and ones that have been closed we should deleate those posts

setishock said:
That's secondary to providing a smoothly running site with helpful members.
The numbers make you look good and make it appear that you have more than you really do. One of you said one time that only about 30 of you actually come in and post.
The down side to a large database is it's easy to get hiccups in it that will drive you nuts trying to find it.
I propose to David to one night maybe on a Sunday night, back up the database then go in and purge any threads more than 2 year old and any members that have not posted in 2 years. Not move them to an archive, but instead delete them. Keeping in mind having the back up in case this doesn't resolve the problem it can be restored.

i disagree with this.. some old threads have some very good info in them, quite often when i have a problem, or am just wondering about something i search through the old threads, and have a read.. ive read several recently dating back 3+ years.. i dont think that deleting threads is a good idea.. the same with members, presumabley if you delete a member, all their posts will also go.. that would be very hard to do, and make sure that the old threads they have posted in make sense.. (going back to my above comment about reading through old threads)

Back
Top Bottom