Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #21
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 825
Default Re: An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

Chris,

Are you implying that home internet users are unable to have static ip? Or is your statement directed solely at ssc456, because you know something about his internet service he doesn't? Home users can request static ip ... usually for a slight monthly fee increase ($5-$10). Granted if ssc456 is just "guessing" that he's static then you're probably correct that he's dynamic. I'm dynamic, yet I've had the same IP address for at least 5 months now.
Just seems kind of bold of you to state "you're not static ip" without knowing for sure if ssc456 hasn't arranged with his ISP to be assigned one.
__________________

CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #22
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriann View Post
Yous can also set up the forum to not allow a User's posts/threads to be seen immediately -- they'd need to be "approved" by a moderator before the general public can see them.
That would mean that our mods would have to stay on 24/7 to run the forum smoothly. That or we'd need a butt load of mods.

Offtopic: What's so good about static IPs?
__________________

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:20 AM   #23
Site Team
 
Lowndsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
Default Re: An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCech View Post
Chris,

Are you implying that home internet users are unable to have static ip? Or is your statement directed solely at ssc456, because you know something about his internet service he doesn't? Home users can request static ip ... usually for a slight monthly fee increase ($5-$10). Granted if ssc456 is just "guessing" that he's static then you're probably correct that he's dynamic. I'm dynamic, yet I've had the same IP address for at least 5 months now.
Just seems kind of bold of you to state "you're not static ip" without knowing for sure if ssc456 hasn't arranged with his ISP to be assigned one.
it's because he is a moderator and he can see that ssc has posted using dozens and dozens of different IP addresses which certainly doesn't suggest a static IP.
__________________
JogaBonito1502: I guess Microsoft is really not to blame. Sorry!

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 AM   #24
Baseband Member
 
Siriann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45
Default Re: An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
That would mean that our mods would have to stay on 24/7 to run the forum smoothly. That or we'd need a butt load of mods.
Not really... it would just take a while for the post to show up.
__________________
_
Siriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:37 AM   #25
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriann View Post
Yous can also set up the forum to not allow a User's posts/threads to be seen immediately -- they'd need to be "approved" by a moderator before the general public can see them.
there are a hell of alot of posts made each day... would take us forever...
__________________
'I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.'

Winston Churchill, 11/30/1874 - 01/24/1965
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #26
Fully Optimized
 
ssc456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,279
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark thorpe View Post
there are a hell of alot of posts made each day... would take us forever...
what about if you just have to "filter" posts made by users with less than 5 posts ???

i dont know if thats possible or if you filter posts from users less than 2 days old ??

im pretty sure that could be possible it would just mean when you register you get put into a group that each post has to go through a mod first, and then after 2 days you auto get moved into the normal group ??

on a side note i dont think we have that big of a problem with spam here and wen we do the mods are pretty quick to act
__________________
He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

i think the last bit you said is true... i dont see the need for something as extreme as that...
__________________
'I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.'

Winston Churchill, 11/30/1874 - 01/24/1965
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #28
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post

Offtopic: What's so good about static IPs?
You enable DMZ and they're great for web servers. They don't need dynamic DNS. It's also great for file server accross the web.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #29
Baseband Member
 
Siriann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45
Default Re: An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark thorpe View Post
there are a hell of alot of posts made each day... would take us forever...
Woah, wait, i wasn't very clear: This tactic would be applied to newbies only. After it was determined that they weren't a bot/spammer their account would be given full privileges.
__________________
_
Siriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #30
88
Fully Optimized
 
88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,775
Send a message via MSN to 88
Default Re: An interesting idea that cuts back on delinquent members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriann View Post
Woah, wait, i wasn't very clear: This tactic would be applied to newbies only. After it was determined that they weren't a bot/spammer their account would be given full privileges.
right, that is precisely what the forum i was talking about does
__________________

__________________
Killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lsung!
88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0