Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
Computer Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,841
Default Re: How to beat spammers

Well have you considered that a lot of times these spammers are bots that can make several posts per minute if they are allowed and they could be faster than somebody that would neg rep them?
__________________

__________________
A+, Network+
Official "Birthday Man" of CF.

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: How to beat spammers

I'm sorry Jervin I don't understand. May you rephrase as I'm abit of a thick retarded boy (little boy)
__________________

__________________
Liveleaker
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
Computer Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,841
Default Re: How to beat spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antdemo View Post
I'm sorry Jervin I don't understand. May you rephrase as I'm abit of a thick retarded boy (little boy)
Sorry. Let me try this again. A lot of the spammers that spam forums are not actually human beings, but bots, or computer programs that find forums and spam on them. My point with that is that even if David implemented a certain rule saying that after 2 neg rep posts that there is a longer delay, these "bots" can make several posts per minute. (well, because they are a computer program, not somebody actually trying). By the time somebody who knew to neg rep them did rep them, there could already be 10 posts created. That's all I am trying to say.
__________________
A+, Network+
Official "Birthday Man" of CF.

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #14
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: How to beat spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jervin32189 View Post
Sorry. Let me try this again. A lot of the spammers that spam forums are not actually human beings, but bots, or computer programs that find forums and spam on them. My point with that is that even if David implemented a certain rule saying that after 2 neg rep posts that there is a longer delay, these "bots" can make several posts per minute. (well, because they are a computer program, not somebody actually trying). By the time somebody who knew to neg rep them did rep them, there could already be 10 posts created. That's all I am trying to say.
You have to wait 30 seconds before replying to a thread. I assume this is the same to create a thread. I wouldn't know because it takes me way more than 30 seconds to type a thread up. The reason I don't like this idea is because you could have a member who just got neg. rep. for blowing up on a discussion. It wouldn't be fair to stop him from posting. Unfortunately, spammers are something that can't be avoided without hurting priveledges of others. I already follow J's idea. Just let it die. I completely support it too.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 AM   #15
Bogan
 
Neodude112320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320
Default Re: How to beat spammers

talking about spam,there is a bot on right now spamming us BAD.
__________________
Desktop:BitFenix Survivor~Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R~ i7 2600K @ 4hz~AMD 6870 1GB~12gb Team Elite DDR3 1333~3xWD In RAID5~W7 Ult
Laptop:Alienware M11x~ i7-2637M 1.7GHz~16GB 1333MHz DDR3~GeForce GT 540M~W7 Ult
Neodude112320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
LukaszR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,833
Send a message via MSN to LukaszR
Default Re: How to beat spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodude112320 View Post
talking about spam,there is a bot on right now spamming us BAD.
who's that??
__________________
Desktop - DualBoot: Fedora 15/Windows 7 64bit
Netbook - Windows 7 Professional

www.Cyber-Talk.ca League of Legends and Gaming Community
LukaszR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #17
Bogan
 
Neodude112320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320
Default Re: How to beat spammers

They are gone now,i forget the username,there was quite a bit of spam in 3 of the threads.
__________________
Desktop:BitFenix Survivor~Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R~ i7 2600K @ 4hz~AMD 6870 1GB~12gb Team Elite DDR3 1333~3xWD In RAID5~W7 Ult
Laptop:Alienware M11x~ i7-2637M 1.7GHz~16GB 1333MHz DDR3~GeForce GT 540M~W7 Ult
Neodude112320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #18
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: How to beat spammers

Spammers are rarely a serious problem. Sure they're annoying, but they aren't that hard to clean up.

Hell, when that guy came on and started posting that huge long cat picture in about 100 threads (he spent nearly two hours of his time doing this) Lowndsey came on and deleted every single one of them within minutes.

Troll attempt was a complete failure I'd say.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #19
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: How to beat spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner View Post
Spammers are rarely a serious problem. Sure they're annoying, but they aren't that hard to clean up.

Hell, when that guy came on and started posting that huge long cat picture in about 100 threads (he spent nearly two hours of his time doing this) Lowndsey came on and deleted every single one of them within minutes.

Troll attempt was a complete failure I'd say.
haha, i remember that
__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #20
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: How to beat spammers

How to beat spammers

With a "Ban Hammer" of course!

__________________

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0