Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #41
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Guru Lounge

I don't see a need for it, we already have a social lounge. A guru lounge, it seems to me would be a hidden social lounge and wouldn't really add anything to the forum, other than people trying to spam their way into it.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #42
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

I've been thinking... What would be talked about in the guru lounge that isn't talked about in social?

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #43
Guru

It's not what would be talked about. It's the fact that we won't have as much people going off into flame wars. At least theoretically, guru's should have been around forums enough to avoid a thread from going off topic from flaming. But I'm already convinced that it wouldn't be a good idea, so you don't need to keep bringing up points to try to convince me again. However I did like the priv. lounge idea. At least it will make people want the priv. and become better posters.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #44
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
It isn't, and it shouldn't be.
Yep. Remember that spamming from 600 to 1000 incident a while back?

Don't want that again. No rewards means no enticement to spam.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #45
Golden Master

Anyone can spam to 1K posts, it would be too easy and there be much of the same crap as there is in the social lounge. But, what if members were granted access to this certain part of the forum? (voted in by the already members?)
Post count means nothing when deciding whether a member should be granted access or not, only the poster's contributions to the forum should count and whether he/she is a total arse or not. That way, members would have to earn the respect of other members the hard way, not just by spamming to x thousand posts. I think that would be the best chance of getting some decent conversation and debates going, it would also motivate other members to make more constructive posts and think about what they are posting before they do it.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
It's not what would be talked about. It's the fact that we won't have as much people going off into flame wars. At least theoretically, guru's should have been around forums enough to avoid a thread from going off topic from flaming.
The majority of active members are gurus. That doesn't stop flame wars in the social lounge so why will a private section change that?

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #47
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndsey View Post
The majority of active members are gurus. That doesn't stop flame wars in the social lounge so why will a private section change that?
exactly. if anything its a guru who starts most of the flame wars.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #48
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

but what about my idea of priv members? it isnt based on the postcount/rep you have, its based on how good of a member you are, which is perfect for this idea.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #49
Wizard of Wires

Ok I'll be my usual blunt self.
Some of you kids think you're all a bag of chips and a Pepsi. You are no better than any one else on this forum. Just because it says guru under your name doesn't mean a tinker's damn. It's just a friggin title. Is it really that important to you?
The bases for a tech related forum is to give out good solid responces to questions asked. The rest is just window dressing.

Quoting worshipme >
Anyone can spam to 1K posts, it would be too easy and there be much of the same crap as there is in the social lounge. But, what if members were granted access to this certain part of the forum? (voted in by the already members?)
Post count means nothing when deciding whether a member should be granted access or not, only the poster's contributions to the forum should count and whether he/she is a total arse or not. That way, members would have to earn the respect of other members the hard way, not just by spamming to x thousand posts. I think that would be the best chance of getting some decent conversation and debates going, it would also motivate other members to make more constructive posts and think about what they are posting before they do it.
End quote <

Out of context from above quote>
But, what if members were granted access to this certain part of the forum? (voted in by the already members?)
End quote <
Now who would be put in charge of doing that? Who's gonna put you in there to begin with?

Another out of context quote from the above post >
That way, members would have to earn the respect of other members the hard way, not just by spamming to x thousand posts.
End quote <
Son, the people I respect in this forum can be counted on one hand.

A private area just for the elitist bunch would be a place for them to go and bad mouth every one else with out the person seeing it or being able to defend themselves. You could bet your ass some one would make private area convos like that public real quick and the shit would hit the fan then.

It's a horrible idea that should be forgotten.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #50
Fully Optimized

There should be no private area for anyone other than the mods.

I really can't be bothered saying more on the matter because the idea of a Guru only Lounge is basically pants.