Forum "Update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the thread hasnt had a post for lets say 1 month then it gets an auto lock to stop people from posting in them. Just an idea.

The only realistic option I can think of would be to dump *all* of the existing threads into one huge archived section, and then lock that section to prevent anyone adding to it. I've seen it done (and work well) on smaller sections of smaller forums, but I don't think it'd work well with every single post on this board!

Arranging by keywords / post content will be unreliable at best, and sorting through however many thousand threads manually isn't a job anyone's going to volunteer to do...
Yeah, that's probably the only option... there are 46,449 threads in the General Computer Hardware & Software forum now, way too many to attempt to manually organize unless there's a vBulletin script out there that can (reliably) sort them by keyword or whatever.

You have ZERO chance of convincing David to do that
Oh believe me, I'm not going to try! I seem to be one of the few people that's not convinced by the whole forum rearranging thing at all, I was speaking purely from a hypothetical perspective :)

Yeah thats another massive issue, what to do with all the current threads. An archive forum would just be messy in my opinion

So v-bulletin doesn't let you merge and move current *forums* (as a whole; I'm not talking about moving individual threads)?

No idea but I won't be the one to rearrange 80,000 threads. And you can't just move the active ones and leave the old inactive ones as they are, as far as I am concerned that would look stupid.

Yeah, I thought about that idea and discarded it. Dude's idea might work. I mean...there has got to be a way to move them. vB would have thought that people want to rearrange their stuff at some point.

edit: Guys. Look at the rearranged forum display. There's a section called General Hardware. Now...some of the threads in the hardware/software are general hardware while the rest are mostly cooling,overclocking, and building rigs. So you do a keyword search on cooling and overclocking and you move those to their threads. Then you search for "build" and move those. The rest you leave on General Hardware. If an inactive thread pops up (by latest post) on the wrong forum, a mod can simply move it. This way the ones that pop up can get sorted out correctly and it won't require mods to move 80k+ threads. Social Lounge threads stay as is. The "Web ..." threads are all going to be merged into one forum. Galleries stay as is. Servers and Networking are merged. Programming, security/hacking, and OS stay as is (just moved). Communication/AIM can be moved to Applications (basically renamed). For Sale/Trade and CF: Suggestions just get moved. This doesn't have to be that hard guys.

The above paragraph was based on this display:

...I'd say we've narrowed it down to this (give a reason why any more should be added/deleted/condensed; note if I've missed anything please):

(Delete->)General(<-Delete)
(Delete->)Technical(<-Delete)
(Delete->)Webhosting(<-Delete) (replace with the following:->)

Hardware
-> General Hardware
-> System Building/Upgrading
-> Overclocking/Cooling
-> Modding
-> Galleries

Software
->General Software
->Operating Systems
->Applications
->Security/Anti-Virus
->Programming

Networking/Internet
->Servers and Home/Office Networking
->Web Programming/Design/Review/Hosting

General
->Social Lounge
->CF Comments/Suggestions
->Buy/Sell/Trade

I was kind of wondering the same thing Joga. It didn't seem that difficult to me when I wrote it up. I figured it'd just be mainly renaming and merging, not really moving a lot of stuff. I don't think it has to be that difficult either. We'll just have to see what David has to say, I guess...since the vote is an overwhelming "yes".

I figured it'd just be mainly renaming and merging, not really moving a lot of stuff. I don't think it has to be that difficult either.

Explain how moving 46 000 threads from general hardware and software into the correct categories in 10 different sections in the new hardware and software sections is not difficult? Taking the cop out way and dumping them into an archive section is not an option.

Explain how moving 46 000 threads from general hardware and software into the correct categories in 10 different sections in the new hardware and software sections is not difficult? Taking the cop out way and dumping them into an archive section is not an option.

->...vVv...<-

unless there's a vBulletin script out there that can (reliably) sort them by keyword or whatever.
So v-bulletin doesn't let you merge and move current *forums* (as a whole; I'm not talking about moving individual threads)?
I mean...there has got to be a way to move them. vB would have thought that people want to rearrange their stuff at some point.

edit: Guys. Look at the rearranged forum display. There's a section called General Hardware. Now...some of the threads in the hardware/software are general hardware while the rest are mostly cooling,overclocking, and building rigs. So you do a keyword search on cooling and overclocking and you move those to their threads. Then you search for "build" and move those. The rest you leave on General Hardware. If an inactive thread pops up (by latest post) on the wrong forum, a mod can simply move it. This way the ones that pop up can get sorted out correctly and it won't require mods to move 80k+ threads. Social Lounge threads stay as is. The "Web ..." threads are all going to be merged into one forum. Galleries stay as is. Servers and Networking are merged. Programming, security/hacking, and OS stay as is (just moved). Communication/AIM can be moved to Applications (basically renamed). For Sale/Trade and CF: Suggestions just get moved. This doesn't have to be that hard guys.
I was kind of wondering the same thing Joga. It didn't seem that difficult to me when I wrote it up. I figured it'd just be mainly renaming and merging, not really moving a lot of stuff.

Hence:

I don't think it has to be that difficult either.

What I highlighted in red text is what has been in the back of my mind through any posts about the rearrangement. I don't understand why things have to be manually done. You'd think that VB, as probably the biggest forum software/code (whatever) provider, would have a very easy system for forum reorganization.

Does that answer your question..or?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom