Forum "Update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
David has posted a list of suggestions that will not get implemented. Among those not listed, is the rearrangement of forums. For a computer forums, this is not very strong. We have 1 general forum that deal with hardware software. I think we could make a couple more divisions to get things more organized. We also have many forums that don't really belong in their current place. I'm just curious here, but how many of you think we could do with a forum rearrangement?

NOTE: We are not discussing any rearrangement plans. I just want yes or no.

Technical yes. But i don't want to turn into one of those forums with dozens of sections all with very little content

I asked for the overclocking thread to be reopened, it hasn't happened. I pisses me off that a mod who I doubt knows anything about overclocking and never ventures into the HW/SW forum has closed the thread. It is impossible for a social lounger to understand why we want the section on the first page.

Yes, I wouldn't want that either. Loads of forums all with 1 post in each etc

I don't mean a section for each hardware part, but I definitely want some sort of reorganization. Maybe split General HW/SW into like Hardware and Software, and then underneath each we can go more specialized. For example, under Hardware we can have Modding, Cooling, OverClocking. I don't know. We can work out these details if first the idea of reorganizing is passed.

I asked for the overclocking thread to be reopened, it hasn't happened. I pisses me off that a mod who I doubt knows anything about overclocking and never ventures into the HW/SW forum has closed the thread. It is impossible for a social lounger to understand why we want the section on the first page.

Mabye wait for me to be online and read the PM before having a go? you sent the PM at 9.40. it is now 11.53, and I have only just got online.

You asked for the overclocking section... it has been added... I closed the thread because it had decended into petty arguing and the suggestion had already been implemented. I dont need to know about overclocking to know a thread which has decended into petty arguments and already has resulted in one temp ban needs closing.

I voted no, but if it is something like that then I think it would work.

Here's my view:

I think that we'd come out with maybe only adding a few sections. I think that we should delete/condense many, and so by getting rid/condensing those, we'd have room to add more detail sub-forums for topics that are frequented like many have suggested.

So, "yes"...all the way.

Here's a few *suggestions* (some may be repeats) PLEASE DO NOT MISTAKE THIS FOR THE POINT OF THIS THREAD -> These are just possible suggestions for if this thread's idea is IMPLEMENTED. Take what you want from following:

(Delete->)General(<-Delete)
(Delete->)Technical(<-Delete)
(Delete->)Webhosting(<-Delete) (replace with the following:->)

Hardware
-> General Harware (all other inquiries)
-> System Building/Upgrading (questions/opinions/advice/etc)
-> Overclocking
-> Cooling
-> Modding
-> Galleries

[Three notes on the above. First off, I think that a sub-forum for system building/upgrading would be AMAZING. Yes, they could easily just be started in "general", but I think that for those who are very good at recommending/putting systems together, it'd be a nice sub-forum. There are few forums out there who have this sub-forum. Secondly, the gallery thread could stay right under the "hardware" section, or, each gallery could be dumped into it's appropriate sub-forum. I think it should probably just stay right under "hardware". Thirdly, I didn't re-include the processors thread. It does not matter to me one way or another, but personally, since it probably isn't any more popular that a MB/RAM/GPU sub-forum would be, I don't think it needs to be here. I think that general hardware would be just fine.]

Software
->General Software
->Operating Systems (could have forums under this that are "Windows, Mac, Linux", but they might not be utilized enough)
->Applications (could have subs in here for "media apps" and "office/business apps" or you could do "office/bus apps", graphics/photo apps", "audio/video apps" or something, too, if people felt they were needed)
->Security/Anti-Virus (I think this would be kind of nice...a decent possibilty)
->Programming

[Some notes: As you can see, a lot of rearranging and condensing. These are less frequented and don't need a ton of expansion/detail. The same for the following:]

Networking/Internet
->Home/Office Networking
->Servers (or "Server Admin.")
->Web Programming
->Web Design/Review
->Hosting

[Notes: As stated above, it doesn't need to be as expanded as it is now. Networking/internet stuff isn't frequented as much as hardware related stuff, so a little condensing wouldn't hurt, IMHO]

General (or "Other")
->Social Lounge
->Rules (I think this would be a nice feature, but it could stay in the SL or go in introductions or something)
->Introductions
->CF Comments/Suggestions
->Buy/Sell/Trade (or whatever you want to name it)

[Notes: I think this would be very good. A nice little cap to the rest of the forum]
___

Okay, now, this has taken me about a half hour to think out thoughtfully; please don't make yourself look like a jacka** and ruining it by flaming it with 10 second, unthoughtful post. Constructive criticism is welcome. Like I said, this is just kind of just to get the ball rolling, etc...

Thoughts? Please include any large/important categories I may have overlooked, or state why something I included, shouldn't be.

(BTW, I'll try and photoshop the main page so people can get a general idea of what this could look like).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom