David something has to be done

I think it's a combination of board features and community that draws in members. I tend to lean more towards community though... if a board has custom avatars, signatures and everything you could possibly want when it comes to customization but horrible members, why would you want to join?

Well, the customization features are going to attract a huge number of people, and at least half of them will be good members.

http://www.computing.net/hardware/wwwboard/forum/50118.html

This is the basic thread layout for their forum. Do you see any avatars, graphics, or smilies?

Yet, they seem to have a healthy member base. Connect the dots here.
Yeah, that forum is extremely basic but very active. Features and design aren't everything but in my opinion I wouldn't find posting on a forum that basic enjoyable... I like the AJAX interface that bulletin board software like vBulletin offers.

Well, find me one person on this forum that would rather post in a forum like that.

Basically, theirs is a fully computer-problem forum, ours is more encompassing.
While the community here at CF is fairly strong, there are a few more general forums on the left portion of the sidebar at Computing.net.

Maybe the whole point of a computer forum like computing.net is to provide free technical support.

Back
Top Bottom