Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
JCB
Daemon Poster

Default Compression Has Been Enabled On The Site

Hi Guys

Just to let you know today I have enabled compression on the site. This compression has reduced the page size by 3 - 4 times and will make the pages load faster for us. Let me know if you have any issues pop up

JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Compression Has Been Enabled On The Site

It's a lot snapper. Wonder if compressing mine would help?

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via ICQ to The_Lucas Send a message via MSN to The_Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to The_Lucas

I suggest getting signed up for CloudFlare as well. Most of the features are free, and it's definitely sped up my site a lot in addition to the other stuff I've done: Performance & Security for Any Website | CloudFlare | Home

Also, this tool is very handy in suggesting optimizations: GTmetrix | Website Speed and Performance Optimization
http://lucasbytegeni.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
Doesn't "loatheing" something the same as "love?" Whenever i hear it be used the person "loves" that product or service or whatever it is they're talking about.
The_Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
JCB
Daemon Poster

@ Setishock I can see you are using vbulletin as well, If you want to know what I did send me a PM

@ The_Lucas Thanks for the links, some useful info there

FYI : Im also looking as making a few more changes which will hopefully speed things up for us
Old 06-09-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via ICQ to The_Lucas Send a message via MSN to The_Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to The_Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
@ Setishock I can see you are using vbulletin as well, If you want to know what I did send me a PM

@ The_Lucas Thanks for the links, some useful info there

FYI : Im also looking as making a few more changes which will hopefully speed things up for us
Glad to provide them, it's my belief every web master should know about this stuff, it really helps.
Quote:
Doesn't "loatheing" something the same as "love?" Whenever i hear it be used the person "loves" that product or service or whatever it is they're talking about.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
JCB
Daemon Poster

Update : I have done the following changes to this site to speed it up for us all

1 - Enabled Compression

2 - Compressed images on the site, (The compression would have no affect on image quality)

3 - Enabled caching of the sites Templates / Style. (I accidently enabled caching of .html pages last night, So if you are having troubles with pages updating please clear your cache.)

4 - Yesterday I increased the compression and this has had a posative impact on the sites performance

5 - Plus a few other small changes to the sites code which helps the page load quicker

Before I started these improvements pages were taking 6 seconds to load, Now they are taking 2 seconds to load and sometimes under 2 seconds. There are still a few improvements I can make which should hopefully make the pages load in 1 - 1.5 seconds.

I hope the site is a bit faster for you guys as well
Old 06-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Wizard of Wires

Seti need day off...

Ok Pm coming your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lucas View Post
I suggest getting signed up for CloudFlare as well. Most of the features are free, and it's definitely sped up my site a lot in addition to the other stuff I've done: Performance & Security for Any Website | CloudFlare | Home

Also, this tool is very handy in suggesting optimizations: GTmetrix | Website Speed and Performance Optimization
And cloudflare is playing things too close to the vest for me. If I have to grant them access to my domain and website then that's over the top. Just another hole in my security to have to contend with. No thanks...
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Seti need day off...

Ok Pm coming your way.

And cloudflare is playing things too close to the vest for me. If I have to grant them access to my domain and website then that's over the top. Just another hole in my security to have to contend with. No thanks...
They actually provide security as well for your site. Read up and watch the video. I've noticed some huge improvements since I got them set up, and they've been very helpful in the rare occasions I've encountered a problem.
Quote:
Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
JCB
Daemon Poster

update : I have managed to shave off another 1/2 a second off page load times by compressing .css and javascript files. These improvements seem to have had a good impact on the site as visitors to this site is up a bit

Thanks again Lucas for pointing me towards this site GTmetrix | Website Speed and Performance Optimization