Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default The CF revival

So, it doesn't take a genius to figure out these boards are pretty dead lately, and have been heading downward for a long time.

Is there anything (sensible) we can do to try and kick start the place again? It'd be a shame to just see them plateau off then die.. and unfortunately this seems to be what's happening.

The way I see it there's a lot that's good about the boards, we have a lot of good content, a (presently small) committed member base and a GREAT domain that should all help.

Rather than just sitting back and mumbling that the place is dying, I just think it'd be good to start a conversation about ideas to see if we can get it back on track.

In terms of my initial thoughts, advertising is the traditional approach, but it does often work. A bit of money spend on things like Facebook ads could perhaps go a long way?
__________________

__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: The CF revival

It might seem a bit... "cheesy" or whatever, but I think that some facebook "like" buttons for individual threads could go a long way. I don't know how it can be solved, but I think we could do with having some more active threads/discussions, rather than several threads with only one or two replies.
__________________

j03 is offline  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: The CF revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03 View Post
It might seem a bit... "cheesy" or whatever, but I think that some facebook "like" buttons for individual threads could go a long way. I don't know how it can be solved, but I think we could do with having some more active threads/discussions, rather than several threads with only one or two replies.
I've seen those "like" buttons on another forum I frequent. This forum also runs on vBulletin, I believe, so implementing "like" buttons may not be too difficult.
__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: The CF revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
I've seen those "like" buttons on another forum I frequent. This forum also runs on vBulletin, I believe, so implementing "like" buttons may not be too difficult.
I like that idea actually - anything that ties in with Facebook or Twitter in that regard would be cool.
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: The CF revival

That'd be a simple thing to add too (or so I'd think).
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: The CF revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
That'd be a simple thing to add too (or so I'd think).
It should be, I can't imagine no-one's written a VB plugin for that already. And it essentially gives us free advertising on Facebook when someone likes a particular post!

Similarly for Twitter, I imagine there should be a plugin out there already.
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
cavemangrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: The CF revival

I'd like to see more diverse posts. Maybe some contests to bring in some more attention to the forum.
cavemangrinder is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: The CF revival

I moved this to the feedback section, this time, with a permanent redirect

Let me tell you; When David granted me Administrator rights at Rapid Gaming, I've sent a message to all e-mails in the database, and guess what? People did come back, and granted a few to mod, so clear out the container of spammers in there. It picked up, but then with all the spam, it went out after, but that's because there was so much spam that it wasn't even possible to post in there without being indulged in spam.

I think here, that mass e-mail about how much changes happened here and the fact that there is a lot going on and we'd like them back, that could help a lot in activity. Trust me, if it did work at Rapid Gaming, especially after most users left after David buying the forum, before seeing the whole thing shut down, it DEFINATELY will work here. Not all users will be back, but a good chunk might and will come even to stay.
lhuser is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: The CF revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser View Post
I moved this to the feedback section, this time, with a permanent redirect

Let me tell you; When David granted me Administrator rights at Rapid Gaming, I've sent a message to all e-mails in the database, and guess what? People did come back, and granted a few to mod, so clear out the container of spammers in there. It picked up, but then with all the spam, it went out after, but that's because there was so much spam that it wasn't even possible to post in there without being indulged in spam.

I think here, that mass e-mail about how much changes happened here and the fact that there is a lot going on and we'd like them back, that could help a lot in activity. Trust me, if it did work at Rapid Gaming, especially after most users left after David buying the forum, before seeing the whole thing shut down, it DEFINATELY will work here. Not all users will be back, but a good chunk might and will come even to stay.
I like that idea - think it could work well alongside others too, such as a competition or more advertising!
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Murica
Posts: 951
Default Re: The CF revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser View Post
I moved this to the feedback section, this time, with a permanent redirect

Let me tell you; When David granted me Administrator rights at Rapid Gaming, I've sent a message to all e-mails in the database, and guess what? People did come back, and granted a few to mod, so clear out the container of spammers in there. It picked up, but then with all the spam, it went out after, but that's because there was so much spam that it wasn't even possible to post in there without being indulged in spam.

I think here, that mass e-mail about how much changes happened here and the fact that there is a lot going on and we'd like them back, that could help a lot in activity. Trust me, if it did work at Rapid Gaming, especially after most users left after David buying the forum, before seeing the whole thing shut down, it DEFINATELY will work here. Not all users will be back, but a good chunk might and will come even to stay.
I concur-- I have returned to forums (such as this one) after long absences because of emails, either replies to ancient posts or simple "we miss you" posts from admins.
__________________

__________________
Civility, Substance, Subtlety, Style: Success
Dngrsone is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0