Can we get a "Solved" button?

Draygoes

Fully Optimized
Please work on the other issue first, if that is your wish, but I think that the forum as a total would benefit if we know what threads have been solved and which ones have not. Sure, not everyone will use it, but I feel like it would improve things.

What do you guys think? I will not argue, as it is not terribly important, but discussion would not hurt right?

EDIT
When it happens with malware removal and user issues, I go with my gut and intel on the subject. That is what I am doing here.

I see no need in it. All you need to do is glance over a thread to see if it's been solved or not.

I have to agree w/Celegorm and the others. It would mean more work for the mods to go through all the threads and sort them out.

It's a good idea, but I think the forum will do fine without it.

I see no need in it. All you need to do is glance over a thread to see if it's been solved or not.

The reason for the "Solved" button, is to save the poster the time and effort of looking over the thread, when he could be using that time helping someone else.

I have a love hate affair with solved buttons.

I love that I can search for an issue, and find a thread that describes the issue and is marked as solved so I should get an answer. -it's a useful feature on the stack forums where people are awarded points for correct answers.

however on some forums it's clearly abused - microsoft technet forums, have loads of posts marked as solved by the mods with a clear doesn't work or not even relevant "solution" usually provided by the mods themselves.
it;s almost like MS have a policy that no thread could be left unsolved. and in the end seeing threads marked as solved are really no guarantee that the provided answer will work for you anyway!

I have a love hate affair with solved buttons.

I love that I can search for an issue, and find a thread that describes the issue and is marked as solved so I should get an answer. -it's a useful feature on the stack forums where people are awarded points for correct answers.

however on some forums it's clearly abused - microsoft technet forums, have loads of posts marked as solved by the mods with a clear doesn't work or not even relevant "solution" usually provided by the mods themselves.
it;s almost like MS have a policy that no thread could be left unsolved. and in the end seeing threads marked as solved are really no guarantee that the provided answer will work for you anyway!

This - it works rather well on stack overflow, but terribly on other sites where a mod will classify something as "solved" as soon as it has one irrelevant answer! SO also has a very different model to traditional forums that doesn't follow linear discussion, and can thus bump up popular answers to the top, again supporting this model.

Back
Top Bottom